New BCD. Do I have to change the low pressure hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Land Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello almighty scuba board.

As the subject goes, I got a new BCD and it came with a low pressure hose. Do I have to change the low pressure hose that's currently fitted in my regulator set?

I don't have cylinder at home but I did try with my reg set and the low pressure hose seems to fit fine.

Thank you! XO

PS you've probably figured out that I'm fairly green when it comes to gear setups. Go easy on me please :oops:

I don't know the answer but would you imagine becoming less green with your gear to be fruitful

No. If it fits, you can use your existing low pressure hose. There are four brands/types of fittings, and if the one you have on your regs fits the inflator input on your new bcd, you're fine. "Standard"; Scubapro/Atomic; Zeagle; Aqualung/Seaquest/Oceanic. All hoses fit one of these four bcd ends.
20190417_012256.jpg

Other than the hose/QD fitting interface the other issue is hose length. If the hose currently on your reg set is long enough to connect to the corrugated hose then all is good. If it is too short then you may need to use a longer hose. If the hose is too long for the corrugated hose then it will work but the excess hose tends to form a loop above your left shoulder and doesn't lie correctly or kinda gets in the way....it definitely looks goofy...some might say it is an entanglement hazard.

If all is good then coil that new hose that came with the BC and store it for a time when you either need to replace your BC LP hose or you start diving in a drysuit and need to add a LP hose to your reg set to connect to the drysuit inflator valve.

-Z

As @rsingler points out, if it fits then no. The new hose might be longer or shorter - if it's significantly shorter keep the longer one When you're regs and BCD is on a cylinder then you may or maynot have a little excess loop on top, I get over this by moving my LP hose to a rear most LP port and changing the routing a little. but it's not that big of a deal. Generally I use the new hose because it's new - or I put it into my save a dive kit

EDIT: @Zef Beat me to it

And you guys beat a few others of us to it.

My hose is a bit too long and I'm often messing with it. Yes, it has caught on a big coral on a zooming drift dive. Now, there's some extra entertainment!

We have dive alerts and that was definitely a reason to get a hose a few inches shorter to make up for the extra length.

No. If it fits, you can use your existing low pressure hose. There are four brands/types of fittings, and if the one you have on your regs fits the inflator input on your new bcd, you're fine. "Standard"; Scubapro/Atomic; Zeagle; Aqualung/Seaquest/Oceanic. All hoses fit one of these four bcd ends.View attachment 515116
To be clear, the three brand specific non-standard fittings are for inflator/octo combos. All standard inflators use the same connection, regardless of brand. Although every once in a while I find a pairing that just doesn’t play well together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom