New Boat Design for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Admittedly, I'm not a first responder, but since nobody else will give you feedback...

Your boat seems to be kind of a wacky little design. First, what I like. It seems fairly stable for the design. Also it is low enough to the water to "porpoise" into it. As far as what I don't like, it looks to be built for one person to go out on a lake, suit up, and get to a site. Most organizations I'm aware of require diving in buddy teams, which this doesn't seem to accommodate. Also, once you bring up said "victim" I see no where to put them onboard to get them out of the water and begin resuscitation. Finally, while this holds a person and dive gear on the glass-flat conditions of the video, I don't see any first responders anywhere near the coast using it. I would guess the hull design (flat bottom) is such that it is stable until your center of gravity goes over one of the bottom corners, but past that point you won't be able to bring it back and will become a victim yourself.

Not sure what you mean by "first responders", but you're not taking that out on the ocean.

"First responders" around here use this, with a 50cal on the front and back.
2441879014_a81b4f9924.jpg

Or this:
The%20fire%20rescue%20boat%20nears%20the%20dock%20at%20Station%205.JPG

Around here a few people kayak dive. But I don't think this would appeal to them, it doesn't do double duty as a kayak.

Several folks use Jon boats or canoes to access FL river caves. It might appeal to them since the relative weight and power is about right - except that its limited to 1 person.

Our fast water rescue teams use Inflatable boats. IE: Zodiacs. For the ocean see rjack231's photo of the Coast Guard.

Owning two kayaks and having kayak dove a fair amount, that is not something I would recommend to anyone looking for something to dive off of.

It would make a great toy for kids to play on at a lake though, while the parents sit on shore and :cheers:

Thanks to all who responded!
Versaboat wa initially designed as a fishing boat. Two trolling motors are fastened underneath on opposiste sides of the centerline. A battery/control box is positioned between your feet with heel pockets on each side for the operator's feet. Pushing your left foot forward engages the left motor in progressively faster forward speed. Same for the right foot/motor. Using differential steering the boat is completely controlled by one's feet . . . leaving your hands free for fishing. It is stable in 3 foot seas. Bird watchers, disabled, photgraphers, duck hunters are also extremely interested.

Meanwhile, first responders liked the size and fucntionality:
* Easily loaded between the wheel wells of most any vehicle with a hatchback and secured with a strap.
* Easlily launched by just two responders from the vehicle, over rocks & rough terrain, and into narrow or otherwise inaccessible waters
* Light weight and nearly indestructable
* Easily paddled with speeds above 3 mph by one person
* Provision for 3.5 hp outboard for distance and strong currents
* Handgrips all around for easy entry from water and transport by up to 6 people when used as a stretcher
* stability and self bailing for class IV rapids and heavy surf

During field testing of the prototypes, we received lots of attention from the public and a recurring interest from divers.

Our quest here is not to defend the boat for this use. We are asking for ways to make the boat better for those who would like it for diving. It seems that most kayak divers do not like removing their gear while still in the water and trying to secure it to the kayak especially in high seas. Even after removing their gear, they often turn over the kayak while re-entering . . . testing the security of their recently stored gear.

The video was done to merely cover these 2 points.

Your comments & suggestions are appreciated.

John Zimmerlee
404-394-6930
john.zimmerlee@gmail.com

The

You might want to e-mail him as he seems to have not follwed up on his thread. I thought it was interisting but not enough info out there to get more involved in looking for recomendations from divers. My ZODIAC works fine right now.... Thought it might be good for working around the docks but after re looking I can use my tender better for the gear and tools....

:shakehead: don't think so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom