New boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here on the Great Lakes sonar is essential for just the reasons Nemrod said. I splurged and bought a Humminbird 1197 last year to get A. a big screen that even my old eyes can easily read and B. side scan capability. Maybe a bit over the top for most guys, but if you see where I operate it makes sense. Even with all the fancy electronic gizmos though, I have a regular compass by the steering wheel and I keep a engineers compass in the junk drawer as back up.

I've got a Garmin GPS/Fishfinder combo. It has the detailed maps for every lake in the U.S. and then I also purchased the detailed map for all of the coastal NW region. The lakes are preloaded and the coastal region is on a small memory card. When I use the boat in the lake, I get detailed maps. If I go in the Delta around my house, I throw the card in and get detailed maps as well. I think mine even has aerial photos of certain harbors.

Mine works very well for "seeing" fish. If I could only get it to catch them for me, I'd consider it a successful investment.

Another thing to do is to ENSURE you have whatever safety equipment is required for the area you're going. Most people assume that life jackets are all that is needed. In reality, the equipment list is quite long. Certain boats require a fire extinguisher. I think all boats require a noise making device like a whistle. Depending on where you are diving or fishing, you may be required to carry flares. Just double check you have what is needed in case you are stopped and boarded. I look at it from the position of there must be a reason it is required. Also, if it saves my ass one day, it was worth having. One thing that is not required (unless it's changed) is a first aid kit. Obviously it would be a good thing to have no matter what the boat is used for.

Fishfinder. Yeah, my bad. Brain fart. For some reason I thought Nemrod meant something more elaborate.

Yes, very true that a simple depth-finder/fishfinder is a great thing to have. Warns you if you're getting in too shallow water as well. And what the depth right under the boat is where you'll be dropping down. Lets you know how much anchor rode to let out too to keep a good scope of anchor line to depth.

If you don't have a through-hull fitting that you can utilize for this, there are some transducers that can attach to the transom at the waterline for easy installation.

Congrats on the new boat. I'm looking at purchasing the same type of craft so this thread will help me out as well. Good luck!

The best way to make sure you have all the required safety gear is to get
a Courtesy examination by the USCG Aux or the US Power Squadron.
You should seriously consider this. In fact, you should start by preparing yourself.
Take the USCG aux safety course or one from your local power squadron. Seriously, this is a fun couple of evenings and the information is invaluable. Learn how to run your boat and respect the responsibilities that come with it. A boat has no breaks and no hard contact with the ground. This takes getting used to.
Also, learn how to rig your boat for safety and how to use all your safety gear. A cell phone is no substitute for a VHF radio. Get a radio and learn how to use it. If it allows integrate it with your GPS for emergency calls. Learn how to don your life jackets. Learn how to rig your anchor and how to use it. Again, take the class!

Hang a line overboard off both stern cleats. Your dock lines will do.

braid in a large SS caribiner or two to hang your wieghtbelt, BC Bug Bag, Spear and whatever ele you may have.

then just climb in the boat and haul it in.

Back
Top Bottom