New Book From the Author of Shadow Divers is Available for Pre-Order!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Robert Kurson, the author of Shadow Divers, has a new book available for pre-order; it is not a scuba book but it sounds interesting and exciting!

Dear Friend,

I’m thrilled to announce TODAY that my new book Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon, is available for pre-order.

Ask people about the Apollo space program and they’re most familiar with Apollo 11, when man first set foot on the Moon. But by many accounts, an even more daring and risky mission occurred seven months earlier when Apollo 8, crewed by Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, became the first manned flight ever to reach the Moon.

The story of Apollo 8 has it all: an existential enemy (the Soviets); a race against time; epic danger; close calls; a stunning and unexpected broadcast heard by one-third of the world’s population; a single photograph, Earthrise, that remains perhaps the most famous ever taken; a story of three heroic wives; and an ending powerful enough to unite a divided nation at the end of one of its most terrible years.

I’m extremely proud of this story and so excited to share it with you. I hope you take a moment now to order the book so you can enjoy mankind’s first trip to the Moon along with me, and with the crew of Apollo 8, who gave so much of their time to me to help make this book a reality.

Thanks so much. Your support means the world to me.

- Robert

FYI, if you order Rocketmen in advance you will qualify to receive 2 free gifts - early access to the prologue and a piece of Moon Rock!

More from Robert Kurson:

"As a token of my appreciation, anyone who orders the book from now until the book’s publication date (April 3) will receive the following bonuses:

• The Prologue of Rocket Men. If you order before April 3rd, you’ll get a glimpse inside Rocket Men before anyone else. The Prologue brings you back to December 21,1968, to the launchpad where three astronauts are strapped into a small spacecraft, thirty-six stories in the air, awaiting the final moments of countdown.

• Your very own piece of the Moon, estimated to be four billion-years old (retail value: $45). Lunar rocks, which are ejected from the Moon’s surface by a meteoroid or comet, are incredibly rare and regularly sell for many multiples of the price of gold. These particular lunar rocks, from the famed Hupé Planetary Collection, are similar to samples obtained during the Apollo missions. No two lunar rocks are the same so you’re sure to receive your own unique piece of the Moon. Limit: one lunar rock per person.

To receive these bonuses, all you have to do is email your book receipt to rocketmenbook@gmail.com so you can enjoy mankind’s first trip to the Moon along with me, and with the crew of Apollo 8, who gave so much of their time to me to help make this book a reality."

Last edited:
I've received my copy of Rocket Men and it looks great, I am looking forward to reading it. I asked the author Robert Kurson, when should I expect to receive the free piece of moon rock offered for pre-ordering the book; here's his reply:

Hi,

It'll be a couple weeks, I think. The response was overwhelming so it's going to take me a little time to process. But it'll be worth the wait!

Robert

This message came from Robert Kurson, the author of Shadow Divers, about his book Rocket Men:

Rocket Men
is a Goodreads Choice Awards Finalist!

Hello Friends,

I’m proud to announce that my latest book, Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon is a finalist in the Goodreads Choice Awards for Best Book of 2018. It would mean a lot to me if you could vote for the book here.

If you’ve already read Rocket Men, I would love if you could take just a few moments and leave a review on Amazon. Reviews are so important to an author and even a sentence or two would be immensely helpful.

This Christmas marks the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8. The mission, flown by Frank Borman, Jim Lovell, and Bill Anders, was truly Homeric in scope: it marked the first time human beings ever left home, and the first time we ever arrived at a new world – our most ancient companion – the Moon. To many, Apollo 8 remains the most daring, risky, and important space flight of them all. It produced one of the most profound and important photographs ever taken. And it put the astronauts in lunar orbit on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, all at the very end of 1968, one of the worst and most divisive years in American history. We could use heroes like Borman, Lovell, and Anders again.

In case you missed it, here are some links related to Rocket Men, the first two of which show the crew of Apollo 8 today, as sharp, warm – and funny – as ever:

The TODAY Show:

https://bit.ly/2A5p54u

Rocket Men book launch with the crew of Apollo 8 at Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry:

https://bit.ly/2DykATo

Rare footage of the launch of Apollo 8:

https://bit.ly/2A7oGP3

Thanks again to all of you for reading Rocket Men and supporting my work. A writer can’t exist without friends like you, and I’m so very grateful.

Robert Kurson

KathyV: Robert spoke at our dive shop a few months ago and I picked up a copy of Rocket Men from him. It is a page turner and amazing what risks they took to beat Russia to the moon. The book is great as to the events leading up to and including the flight and great at giving the reader a close up view of these amazing men. Coincidence is that Robert and I have the same first name and went to the same high school (I'm older so we didn't overlap) and he now lives in that north suburban Chicago town.
Rob

How great! My husband and I once bumped into Robert Kurson and Richie Kohler at a hotel restaurant near O'Hare, so of course I introduced ourselves! They were both very pleasant and welcoming.

Nova just did a great episode about "Apollo's Daring Mission" in 1968 and you can watch it On Demand or at: Apollo's Daring Mission

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom