New boots… Not sure if they fit my fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a new pair of 7mm BARE Ultrawarmth boots for Wisconsin Lake diving … Unfortunately, I’m thinking they don’t fit my fins. Is that too much heel sticking out?

I love the boots, especially with some of the rocky Lake Michigan shorelines, so I’m not sure if I should get new fins, or go with a lighter soled boot??? Or maybe both. Get new fins for when I’m doing deeper Lake Michigan wreck dives, and lighter boots for shallower inland lake dives.

Attachments

• E52345DD-85F0-4FCE-B769-32400FE718EE.jpeg
    E52345DD-85F0-4FCE-B769-32400FE718EE.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 419E0946-8C92-4929-9B0B-4721E7F9DD68.jpeg
    419E0946-8C92-4929-9B0B-4721E7F9DD68.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 173
  • 7D168F75-EFB9-466F-8321-F48EA3D89B0C.jpeg
    7D168F75-EFB9-466F-8321-F48EA3D89B0C.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 198
Treat yourself to some spring straps!

They DO NOT look fine to me especially at the top of your foot, the fins appear to be a little too small for you and will probably be uncomfortable after a while of using them. I suggest to try other fins, next size bigger, and compare the feeling of the fins on your feet with the new booths on. No one is going to be able to tell if you have the appropriate size fins except you, just like shoes.

For me, boots with thicker soles, sneaker like, are much better than the boots with softer soles. They are much more comfortable to climb up a boat ladder, walk on rocks or simply walking anywhere.

Yeah, it looks like a size mismatch to me as well. Personally, I buy boots like I buy sneakers. If they don't feel like I could walk a mile in them, then they are not the ones for me.

In addition, I ALWAYS take my fins with me when trying on new boots. Your foot, boot and fin all have to work together to minimize discomfort.

I've seen worse. Thinking those are pretty boarderline. If the arc of your foot hurts after using them, they are too small for sure.

I own 2 pairs of the same fin. Different sized depending on if it is the warm water 3mm booties or the drysuit. I have an even larger pair when I had drysocks and rockboots on the first drysuit. I guess that makes 3 different sizes for one size of foot, but I currently only use 2 different sizes. So yes, it is completely possible that you need different size fins for changing boot thickness.

I'd second @broncobowsher 's opinion. However, as the boots have a stiff sole you may not feel arc discomfort, but the only way to tell for sure is to use them.

The other option is to buy a larger fin for cold water and use the originals as your warm water set. Neither go to waste and you're not having to compromise in either environment.

I do think that they look a size too small. You may find that you get foot cramp. I agree re spring straps.

It is important that the fins match the boots. One test is to put them on and sit in a chair and literally try to kick the fins off. If they are wobbling too much, they feel like they are hanging on your toes, then that is a problem.

With respect to boots with very heavy soles and big ridges of rubber built up on the sides, this type of external shape is often not a good match with the inside of the foot pocket dimensions. You want to have as much surface area contact with the outside of the boot and the inside of the fin as possible. If there are big ridges and edges on the sole of the boot, this can prevent this. This is a very different consideration than a normal "shoe" or boot.

If you decided you are going to keep the boots (and fins) and feel like some of the over- building of the sole is too much, I have taken a grinding wheel to the edges and brought them down a little. The biggest problem area for me is on the sides of the boot where your foot is widest. Sometimes this extra width at this location, prevents a more complete insertion of the foot in the fin pocket - without having ridiculously tight heel straps that will end up crunching your toes.

Thanks everyone!!! They feel pretty good when I sit in the chair and kick with them; but the amount of heel showing has me concerned. And it seems they should sit a little father up on the top of my foot. So I'm worried about cramping. Trying these with an old pair of 7mm boots with a thinner sole that I have, they fit much better. So I think I will probably buy a different set of fins to go with these boots and my cold water set-up. ... and use these fins with a thinner, less agressively soled boot for warmer water dives. (looking to go to Bonaire in October, so these fins should be perfect for that!)

I love both these boots and fins ... but just not together I guess. :wink:

And spring straps it will be. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom