New BP/W user. Would appreciate some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mff18b

Registered
Reaction score
So, after a lot of research.....I have decided to take the plunge. I called DSS, spoke to Tobin and after recieving great advice, ordered the BP/W Hog harness setup that would work for my tropical diving needs.
My intent is to use this strictly for tropical recreational diving. I have no plan to move into technical type diving at all. So my question is whether or not my current equipment would work for this or would I be more suited in purchasing other equipment? I currently have a standard recreational reg and octopus with an Aeris Atmos AI computer/compass console. After much reading, it appears that many of you use a SPG and wrist computer in lieu of a console type computer etc.
Thanks in advance for any information you can pass along and I am looking forward to recieving my new DSS kit shortly.

I dive/live in the tropics and I too have a DSS BP/W that Tobin set me up with years ago.

To answer your question...no you do not need to buy more equipment. You can easily dive with your current regulator's configuration and dive computer. I suggest buying a few double ender snap bolts 3.5" to 4" so you can clip your consol and octo off to your harness.

However, don't be surprised with yourself if in the near future you start to think about switching to a long-hose short-hose configuration as this will provide a more streamline profile.

Nah, don't change out the rest of your gear. the BP/W is just a buoyancy compensator, just like any other in basic function. Doesn't affect your regs. I use the same Octo I've had since 1989, but I did add an AI Oceanic computer to replace the SPG. As a rec diver, I'm much happier with the AI computer. If you haven't worked out your buoyancy and trim with the BP/W yet, you may find you need to move the AL tank higher (toward your head.) The weight of your gear is now on your back, not around your waist. Enjoy.

Reactions: Jax
No, you don't need a long-hose reg set, etc. You posted your question in the Hogarthian forum, so it seems you understand that a BP/W is only one element of the so-called Hogarthian configuration, with the other major element being the long-hose reg set. While you do not need to switch, I suspect that you will become intrigued by seeing others who use it. No need to switch now, but if you become intrigued at some point, give it a try.

There's no reason at all to change your other gear.
If you do decide to try the longhose setup, just buy a hose, not a regulator.
While your setup isn't my choice now, I've certainly done plenty of dives with a similar setup in the past. Sue had over 400 dives on a very similar setup before she changed to a wrist mounted computer, but the console is still her backup. Kim has never used a console. None of us have ever used an AI computer. Sue still uses an AirII.

And none of us have died...

No need to change your gear other than going to a long hose if you want to. Personally I have assisted a couple of divers in OOA situations and the long hose certainly made this much easier and in many ways safer IMHO.

So, after a lot of research.....I have decided to take the plunge. I called DSS, spoke to Tobin and after recieving great advice, ordered the BP/W Hog harness setup that would work for my tropical diving needs.
My intent is to use this strictly for tropical recreational diving. I have no plan to move into technical type diving at all. So my question is whether or not my current equipment would work for this or would I be more suited in purchasing other equipment? I currently have a standard recreational reg and octopus with an Aeris Atmos AI computer/compass console. After much reading, it appears that many of you use a SPG and wrist computer in lieu of a console type computer etc.
Thanks in advance for any information you can pass along and I am looking forward to recieving my new DSS kit shortly.

No problem! Dive, dive, dive!

I dove with mine for a year or so before the tec gear began creeping in . . . . :wink:

I have decided to take the plunge. I called DSS . . . ordered the BP/W Hog harness setup that would work for my tropical diving needs. . . . my question is whether or not my current equipment would work for this or would I be more suited in purchasing other equipment? I currently have a standard recreational reg and octopus with an Aeris Atmos AI computer/compass console.
As others have said there is no need to change out your other gear, just because you showed conspicuous wisdom and decided to go BP/W :).

However, I would suggest that you consider doing a couple of things that don't require expensive investment in new equipment. I think there are a number of good reasons to configure your rig to allow for 'primary' donation - i.e. donating the regulator that is in your mouth, in the (very unlikely) event of an OOA situation. And, if you go that way, you want your alternate to be in a readily accessible location - i.e. right under your chin, on a bungee necklace. What you can do is use the hoses you already have, and simply make your (longer) alternate second stage hose your primary hose. Then, create a bungee necklace and put it on the mouthpiece of the regulator that is on what was previously your (shorter) primary regulator hose. That way, you can donate what is in your mouth - a second stage on the longer (~40") alternate hose - and go to the reg that is right below your chin. I teach this to OW students, in fact. One additional consideration - some people find that using the 40" hose as a primary causes a bit of 'bowing', if you route it from the first stage, over your right shoulder, so it is preferable to route that hose under your right arm. And, when doing that, it is possible for the mouthpiece to feel a bit awkward because of the way the hose comes up to your mouth, instead of toward your mouth from the side. I have found that an inexpensive 70 degree (or even a 90 degree) angle adapter (https://www.divegearexpress.com/swivels-elbows) addresses this problem.

As for the console vs wrist computer issue, the primary concern I have with consoles is whether they are clipped to the diver in a streamlined manner. Too often, when divers simply use plastic hose clips on the HP hose, the consoles are free to slide through and are not very streamlined. One option is to place a tie-wrap on the HP hose, about an inch from the base of the console, and secure the HP hose to the plastic clip, between the tie-wrap and the console (which prevents the hose from sliding). Another approach is to use one of the products available (SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Hose Clip Retainer) that allow you to attach a bolt snap to the console, to keep it tucked in closer to your torso, in a more streamlined manner. Either approach is an inexpensive way.

If you are using the AI in your computer then you would need to get a hoseless AI on your wrist (which would increase cost). If it works for you now go with it. I find a computer on a console is less useful and more bulky so i switch them to wrist mount (but i don't use AI so there was no drawback for me).

For tropical diving really anything works... you didn't NEED to switch to BP/W either but it just works better... so it's all up to what works better and what works better for you. When i switched to the long hose i had no intention of getting into technical diving, it just made sense and was more comfortable to share from your primary and have it on a long hose with a backup ALWAYS around your neck.

Thank you to all who have given me great advice. I have come to the realization I am also trying to find a reason to get myself one of those new fangled Shearwater Petrel 2 computers. :D

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom