• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Discussion in 'Scuba Related Court Cases' started by cerich, Oct 31, 2019.

1. reefrat

reefrat Manta Ray

# of Dives:
    Like a lot of people I got sucked in by the RebreatherWorld hype and in 2016 believed that AddHelium was THE place to do any CC training.
    The training was crap (although I didn't realize just how crap at the time!) and a number of conversations/meetings I had with Sotis gave me the impression he was something of a megalomaniac.
    A shame for the staff he had working for him, some of them were genuine diving enthusiasts and nice people.

couv likes this.
  2. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yes, they definitely are. I recall there being news of addhelium getting notified that he couldn't sell rebreathers to terrorists, then he publicly went about doing it anyway. He did get warned up front and ignored the warning. Unless maybe I just dreamed that up, but I'm certain it was discussed ad nauseam on SB in the past.

As for Emilie...Several others on SB called that situation accurately the moment she took over for AH. If armchair quarterbacks on the internet could have nailed it instantly, she should have as well. Maybe sotis is one of those extremely charismatic guys that can convince people to do whatever he wants (charles manson, ian watkins, etc)?

cerich likes this.
  3. JoeFriday

JoeFriday Photographer

It is not just "weapons" that are restricted. A company I once worked for in a former life had to produce 2 different releases of software: 1 with encrypted communications and 1 without...
    Export of cryptography from the United States - Wikipedia

4. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

Yes. We let him (his employee you and I know and like) sponsor a couple of dive trips. We were paid up front. The last trip we ran was “sketchy”.

Louie3 likes this.
  5. Wookie

St John the Diver likes this.
  6. Wookie

Spree Expeditions has an ITAR permit to export rebreathers to Cuba. It was included in the boat permit. It is do-able, but not easy.

St John the Diver likes this.
  7. St John the Diver

St John the Diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99

Yes, they are.

They are most certainly export controlled items.

8. Tom Winters

Tom Winters Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Gee, trying to promote recreational diving in Libya, advancing rebreather diving in the US, and a little collateral damage in the Keys and everyone just piles on this guy.
    Somehow, I never crossed paths with him.
    Oh well...

9. michael-fisch

michael-fisch Manta Ray

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Visited his store, back when it was still located in Naples n found him to be a nice guy.

Michael

10. hroark2112

hroark2112 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 0 - 24

They used to say that about Ted Bundy too. Such a nice guy.

Met him a few times on boats. Thought he was arrogant and a bit condescending. Also listened to some of his lecture on GF, and vowed never to take training from him.

eleniel and tbone1004 like this.