• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Discussion in 'Scuba Related Court Cases' started by cerich, Oct 31, 2019.

1. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    @hroark2112 ditto. a few years ago I was at the Georgia Aquarium with my wife and it was the first day that Poseidon was doing their CCR stuff. She has watched tons of video of proper dive training with the university and has sat in on a lot of classes so she knows what good divers look like. She was commenting about hor horrific two of the divers on the rebreathers were in the big tank. They got closer to the glass and it was Peter and Claudia *also verified by the Poseidon reps who thankfully didn't hear that comment*. I saw them in the water again not long afterwards and both were pretty bad divers. Definitely not anyone I would want near me in a cave

ajmcc likes this.
  2. JohnnyC

JohnnyC PADI Pro

RyanT likes this.
  3. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Unfortunately, the minimum donation is $5, and that is too much in order to make an uncomplimentary remark.

rjack321, BenjaminF and RyanT like this.
  4. reddiver970

reddiver970 PADI Pro

I had forgot about this until I ran across an old ad for Add Helium, does anyone know what the status of this case is?

5. Cert1967

Cert1967 Let's Go Skiing

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

All of the action is 'behind the curtain'. The post above reflects the publicly available records as of today. What's happening?

Will the case go to trial? Unlikely, the averages are against it.

The odds of a federally charged criminal defendant winning at trial? While not lottery-type long odds, generally a bad bet for the defendant. The feds simply don't take cases to trial that they don't think they will win.

Only 2% of federal criminal defendants go to trial, and most who do are found guilty

Experts have offered a range of explanations for the long decline in criminal trials. Among the most common is what critics refer to as the “trial penalty”: Individuals who choose to exercise their constitutional right to trial can face much higher sentences if they invoke the right to trial and lose, according to a 2018 report by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Ayisha likes this.