New Compressor Owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SheepdogShaun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I came across what seems like a killer deal and purchased this used Bauer (Capitano?) Compressor for $500. I didn't purchase it with the mindset of saving money. It's more about convenience....and not getting short fills from the LDS. I have big dreams of lugging it down to baja with the boys since its its gas powered. I also own a 39' Trimaran that Im hoping to outfit with a mounting location so my wife and I could dive some of the more remote locations. I'm sure I don't have to explain to you guys why I chose to park my money in a compressor investment but either way, i pulled the trigger already.

It seemed to be in decent working condition but I dropped it off with a local compressor service company. They do my work's compressors and I trust them. I made sure they were aware it's breathing air. I just learned that our regular tech has been a long time diver and has already worked on a few of these. Im sure he'll give me some advice but I figured I'd ask the real professionals too.

In the meantime, I ordered a new P0 triplex filter and some christolube as advised by my tech. I know im missing the little plastic filter on the intake hose and need to replace that prefilter as well. Ive been reading through the forum for the last few days but am really noticing the lack of a sticky (other than the "you can die" one). The search is really only helpful if you know what you're looking for and even then it's a bit hard to navigate. Im looking to learn what the capabilities of this compressor are. 5cfm? How many AL80s would you consecutively fill? Duty cycle or only what the gas motor is limited to? Able to fill nitrox? I've been seeing the term "nitrox sticks" being thrown around but it's hard to gather what they actually are or can do and what's needed for supporting equipment. Is it PP blending? What compressor mods do you recommend? Necessities? Nice to haves? I like the idea of a CO sensor but no idea what I'm looking for or where to start.

Attachments

• 20200501_123047.jpg
    20200501_123047.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 186
I think you got a very good deal. In good working condition they are worth north of 2.5K. The P0 Filter cartridge that also removes carbon monoxide is pretty expensive and has a shorter service life than the standard filter cartridge. If you're using it on a boat with 100% humidity I'd guess that the cartridge will be used up after about 5 hours. The filter on the far end of the intake hose is nice to have but just duplicates the normal filter's filtration, for me I wouldn't worry about it. The compressor should output 140LPM or 5cft a minute. Both the Capitano and Mariner are professional slow turning compressors that withstand being run for 8 hrs at a streach without problems.

Using a gasoline or diesel engine without the expensive P0 filter cartridge designed to eliminate carbon monoxide is a very good way to kill yourself, the compressor air intake has to be higher and upwind from the engine's exhaust too.
The correct filter cartridge is PN 059183 for gasoline and diesel engines. if you bought a 057679 filter cartridge, try to return it since it was designed to only be used on compressors with electric motors.

Michael

The P0 Filter cartridge that also removes carbon monoxide is pretty expensive and has a shorter service life than the standard filter cartridge.
Which is why some owners scrimp, skip, and then produce toxic fills.

Using a gasoline or diesel engine without the expensive P0 filter cartridge designed to eliminate carbon monoxide is a very good way to kill yourself, the compressor air intake has to be higher and upwind from the engine's exhaust too.
Overheated compressors create CO internally unless you use the right, expensive oil.

The bauer part number for the filter that goes on the end of the hose is 014539-KD.
The filter inside the grey doohicky that the hose plugs into is either a N25326 or a N70, you'll either have to look in your manual or ask your technician.

Michael

The correct filter cartridge is PN 059183 for gasoline and diesel engines.
Yes that is the one I purchased and wasn't something that I planned on cheaping out on. My tech said he believed the filters were good for about 200 fills. I'm guessing that changes upon the conditions it's run in though. Is there a good air testing process/company?

If you're using it on a boat with 100% humidity I'd guess that the cartridge will be used up after about 5 hours.
Is this something that could be extended with a bigger or better water separator?

Yes that is the one I purchased and wasn't something that I planned on cheaping out on. My tech said he believed the filters were good for about 200 fills. I'm guessing that changes upon the conditions it's run in though. Is there a good air testing process/company?

Is this something that could be extended with a bigger or better water separator?

Since I am still living in Germany through the end of the month, I have no experience with US testing companies, but dislike the testing sticks made by Draeger and sold by Bauer.

Doubt that a bigger/better water separator would help much, cooling the air down after the 2nd stage (spiral SS pipe in a bucket of ice water) before it goes to the water separator removes a lot of water which would greatly extend filter life, but does nothing for the CO removal. Now you'll be dumping dry filters because you have no idea if they are still removing all the CO. Learn to live with the fact that you will pay around $40 a filter every 1500 cuft pumped. If the tanks you are filling are always absolutly empty, your filter costs are still only around $2 a tank.
Michael

What is the price tag on one of those? Doesn't seem like you can order straight from them.
I don't know. Wookie installed one on his boat back before he sold it. You contact them and buy from them directly.

Since I am still living in Germany through the end of the month, I have no experience with US testing companies, but dislike the testing sticks made by Draeger and sold by Bauer.

Doubt that a bigger/better water separator would help much, cooling the air down after the 2nd stage (spiral SS pipe in a bucket of ice water) before it goes to the water separator removes a lot of water which would greatly extend filter life, but does nothing for the CO removal. Now you'll be dumping dry filters because you have no idea if they are still removing all the CO. Learn to live with the fact that you will pay around $40 a filter every 1500 cuft pumped. If the tanks you are filling are always absolutly empty, your filter costs are still only around $2 a tank.
Michael
Not sure why reducing the moisture would not increase filter life. My understanding is that the hopcalite is a catalyst and will continue to work as long as it is dry and uncontaminated, also being a catalyst does not itself undergo any change in converting CO to CO2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom