New CompuMask owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TechDeep

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got my compumask, and I have not been able to dive with it yet, but I've been "getting to know her".

Almost everything looks great, I'm sure I'm going to like it. BUT guys, come on...this connector and cable for the PC interface is the biggest piece of crap I've seen in a long long time! And you know what I say is true. There really is no excuse for this mess, especially in a piece of gear that costs this much.

After 2 evenings of trying to get it to work on 3 different computers, I finally opened up the connector that connects to the mask. I took the little printed circuit board out, and tack soldered the springs that are attached to the pins to the circuit board, and put it all back together. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron, but even at that we are talking several hours of aggrivation.

My efforts did pay off, it now actually works most of the time. I still have to be careful about how it is plugged in to the mask, but if I hold it, I can get it to work.

Great mask guys, but you know as well as I that this cable and connector is about as bad as it gets.

I just got my compumask, and I have not been able to dive with it yet, but I've been "getting to know her".

Almost everything looks great, I'm sure I'm going to like it. BUT guys, come on...this connector and cable for the PC interface is the biggest piece of crap I've seen in a long long time! And you know what I say is true. There really is no excuse for this mess, especially in a piece of gear that costs this much.

After 2 evenings of trying to get it to work on 3 different computers, I finally opened up the connector that connects to the mask. I took the little printed circuit board out, and tack soldered the springs that are attached to the pins to the circuit board, and put it all back together. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron, but even at that we are talking several hours of aggrivation.

My efforts did pay off, it now actually works most of the time. I still have to be careful about how it is plugged in to the mask, but if I hold it, I can get it to work.

Great mask guys, but you know as well as I that this cable and connector is about as bad as it gets.

i couldnt agree more.... i just semnt mine in to get fixed. though the main reason was broke faceplate some other probnlems delt with the link cable. for me the mask is a bit flakey in that it would change screen brightness to something low. seeing the screen on the surface or in good blue water is hard when the ocean view is brighter than the screen even at 100%. the issue of hitting the side button and loosing the screen is disturbing if you dont know what to expect. i use mine cause i bought one but always have a backup on my wrist. right now an elite soon to have an elite t3. i am sure this is just a training issue but an issue just the same.

regards

kws

i have a datamask and yes i agree that the connector is a bit "light" but i found that placing the mask on the desk/table and then connecting works best for me funny i just updated the software this evening for oceanlog once connected i don't move the mask around but i don't have a problem with pdc to pc or pc to pdc imho the little "tabs" on the cable to mask end could be stiffer with a more positive "click" to secure the connection

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom