New Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coliseum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Summer is here... time to stop customizing the Harley and Spend some bucks on Diving... I am itching to get a new computer...

I need opinions on:

1- Galileo Sol
2- VR3

Pros and Cons from experience... any info is appreciated...

Can only speak to the VR3. Expensive, and designed really for the diver who is going to do tech diving or other diving where you are going to be doing gas switching (unit can configure up to 10 different gases, and can store 3 different profiles of 10 each). Base version handles open circuit nitrox and by additional PIN upgrades you can open up various options including trimix, closed circuit, O2 analyzer, VPM algorithum (Buhlmann is standard) and more.

Probably one of the more "user adjustable" computers out there including setting PO2 levels for gases, user adjustable last stop depth (3 choices), CNS warning adjustability, OTU tracking, simulator including full deco profile so you can cut a backup table directly from the dive computer, overall safety factor for the unit from zero to 50%. Older units (reasonably age) can be upgraded to new software. Battery is user changeable AA either 3.6 volt or 1.5 volt. Computer will not lock you out, even for violated deco stops.

Just being candid, if someone were to buy this that was doing recreational or simple nitrox diving it is pretty much overkill. There would be less expensive alternatives available that would probably be just as good. The VR3 really is intended as a unit that meets the need for multiple gas diving and deco diving and honestly buying one and using it for recreational NDL type diving is spending a lot of money you don't have to.

They just came out with a 2008 model that has a higher resolution screen with some more bells and whistles, so if you are going to buy, be sure you are getting the new model or a great deal on the 2007 model. They just had a major software upgrade in 2007. I noticed that diverite express has a sale going on the VR3 with 200 off the monochrome model and 300 off the full color model.

You might want to go to Delta's website for more information VR3 Dive computer

The other computer I keep looking at is the X1 Liquidvision, but what is stopping me is the non-changeable/rechargeable battery. I do like that the processing speed is faster on the X1. I have also read a couple reports of the display on it having issues on dives...although I am sure that is not the norm.

The only two things I don't like about the VR3 are first the processor speed is slow compared to their competition. When you do a gas switch you need to leave the computer alone for about 20 seconds while it goes through and confirms your deco profile and recomputes if necessary. If you fool with the switches right after a gas switch, the computer will do what you want, but will not perform the recalc until it has 20 seconds of idle time. Second, the auto on feature can be a bit slow to activate, which means starting the computer manually if you are going to be doing a rapid descent.

I will tell you learning how to use this computer takes a bit of time simply because the range of options on configuration are, compared to most other computers, pretty wide. If you buy one, read the manual CAREFULLY. The British are known for understatement and this is no exception...i.e. they will say in the manual in low key language to make sure that the battery you use is compatible with the unit. The truth behind that statment was the discovery that some 2nd brand batteries (i.e. Radio Shack) are dimensionally larger in circumference and while they fit...you will find the computer doing some really disconcerning things, like rebooting in the middle of a dive. I have never had a problem using the 3.6 volt batteries that are recommended by Delta, or using 1.5 volts from Duracell or Energizer.

I honestly cannot speak to the Galileo Sol.

Last edited:
I've only used a Galileo once, I own a VR3 and have hundreds of dives on it.

I love the VR3 it has been very dependable and has handled all of my needs for cave diving, trimix diving, and of course regular shore dives. There is a learning curve, but it is quickly overcome and there really aren't any tasks that you can't figure out without a little clicking around. Some of my favorite features are being able to use the VR3 to cut schedules at the dive site so you don't have to bring your lap top and I am also a fan of being able to enter three different gas lists so you rarely have to re-enter a gas. In my opinion the one week point of the VR3 is that the logging kit is relatively expensive if you want to hook it to your PC.

As for the Galileo I was extremely impressed with its usability. This computer seemed to have some features that were overkill and added unnecessary complexity. I am the first to admit however, that I have very limited experience with it.

Overall, if you are going to be doing technical diving I think the VR3 wins hands down. If not the Galileo is most likely a better a choice. Or even a less expensive computer if you are not going to be Tek diving in the future.

i can't speak to the ownership of either of these...I can only think that if you are looking at these computers, you should look at the EMC-20H from Cochran. Cochran Undersea Technology not to make this a different thread than what it started as...so, enjoy your researhc...enjoy :)

hope this helps

The Sol is probably the nicest platform for the recreational diver out there.

Niclas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom