New cruise ship pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which one is really San Miguel
"Taco Bell in San Miguel" That has a nice ring to it but if that day comes how sad is that?

This is just hearsay from someones post on Facebook - The McD's closed down and they're saying a Taco Bell is going in that location..............

This talk of the reefs and damage. I'm no expert and really don't have much experience but I've dove all over Nassau and all over Cozumel - there's no comparison. I'm not doubting one bit what you all say about the past to the present and we need to do more/better.

One thing that's drawing me into Cozumel is the Marine Park, the rules, the respect for the underwater life - yes I understand the cruise ship pier thing and I don't agree with it - but there is this avenue out there that needs to be respected and enforced.

Actually Wilma DID do all those things, including smothering/burying the reef (via millions of tons of sand instead of concrete). I'm anti-pier/pro Coz just as you are, just unwilling to gloss over the pre vs post-Wilma condition of the Coz reefs.
I dive Cozumel at least once a year for a couple of weeks and have done so since the mid 1990's, including on a trip there a couple of months after the storm. I saw for myself what the reefs were like then as well as how they have recovered in the years since. The reefs were compromised, yes, some more than others (some almost not at all), but saying that they were all "killed" by the storm is, at the most charitable, an exaggeration. Some of the recovery process will take far longer than my lifetime, that much is true, but much of it runs on a much shorter timeline. Hard corals are very slow but soft corals and sponges, not so much.

But the distributed damage over the reefs wrought by Wilma is nothing compared to the local damage building a cruise ship pier will do to wherever it is placed. Apples and oranges.

All the piers in the picture posted by jlyle are already there. It appears that the SSA pier is the new one at the lighthouse.
I was speaking to this post, New cruise ship pier, showing a proposed pier at the Puerto de Abrigo marina, north of downtown. There are no piers shown on that map. I'm no longer able to edit that post to include the link; sorry for the confusion.

It is clear that the cruise ship proposal near Puerto Abrigo is long dead and I say Amen. The near north of Cozumel remains a very special area with a great walking/bike path free of the disgusting goings on with people having balloons on their heads. How do you politely say no more Pod People?

Dave

I witnessed the extinction of the sea horses in the Paradise grasses when Carnival added their last pier to the south as that ongoing construction polluted the waters as all that crap was carried north and either killed them or hopefully just drove them away to other areas. There have been no seahorses seen in those grasses since from what I hear and that pier was added years ago now.

Is this the area where the night dives are done? If so, I saw to seahorses there in May. The DM knew just where they were and pointed them out.

Is this the area where the night dives are done? If so, I saw to seahorses there in May. The DM knew just where they were and pointed them out.
A Cozumel DM told me that seahorses are being poached from the waters around Cozumel to be sold to aquarium suppliers.

How do you politely say no more Pod People?
"You're leaving today, right?"

How long since they built the last barge piers? I hated that development. Nevis island was such a nice place to visit since they didn't get party barges, but they may by now. Cruise lines like to build their own fake towns to get more money from the passengers.

I like to believe that much more can be achieved through cooperative endeavors than by arbitrary decision making. If the need in fact exists for an additional pier on the Cozumel waterfront, why is it not a decision that is made by people involved with waterfront operations who understand where the greatest harm would be perpetrated by the construction of a new pier?

Is this discussion even for real, or is it based on old information that has already been overturned?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom