New cruise ship pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s a link to an article in the first post or at least a post I did much earlier - according to article, it’s real

If this is in fact the case,they should be meeting with the folks involved in Cozumel Watersports - perhaps ANOATT? They heed to seek QUALIFIED input that would allow this to happen in the best possible method for conservation and the least interference with current operations. If they are not interested in the quality of diving in Cozumel and the ramifications of a new pier, I am not interested in investing a cent of my and my dive group's dollars in Cozumel. Maybe it's time to find out if the priority of building said pier involves lining pockets or practicing responsible reef conservation. Get on board people!

Well, you know, it's a different country, a different culture, and a different government. What seems logical and right to us doesn't necessarily look that way to them. We can talk about what we wish they would do, but it's not our place to tell them what they should do. We may not like what they decide but it's their decision to make.

We live, as the old proverb says, in a glass house.

I wonder why Playa has never been talked about for a pier. Mainland attractions and activities are far more plentiful. I realize the industry doesn't own 5th street like they own Melgar, but the possibilities are far greater.

It's all about money. The government collects landing fees from cruise ship companies. The more passengers, the more money flows into local coffers and Cayman bank accounts. It would be informative to know how much the landing fees are and where the money goes.

Here in Cayman it’s not that simple. Some factions of government are pro some are not. But we make more money from stayover tourism which is indeed being affected by the increase in day visitors. This is a small land mass which does not have facilities for all the additional people especially as places such as Royal Palms, Calicos Jacks, Hemingways which cater to day visitors are disappearing. The possible 10% increase in spending does not warrant the financial much less environmental cost. There is plenty of info available on what the fees involved are. I don’t know of any government that can/will accurately tell you where the money goes. The comments that more money flows into local coffers and bank accounts is confusing to me Years ago cruise guests spent money at destinations now with the prices of cruises so low many guests are in a different socioeconomic level and with the internet to compare prices of goods so Duty Free is not such a big deal and the fact they bring doggie bags so they don’t even have to buy lunch isn’t adding that much to local businesses. As for putting our money in Cayman banks I am not really sure what options we have. Where do those in the tourism industry in your country put their funds — into foreign banks? I cannot comment on the situation elsewhere as I only know what I read in newspapers and that is basically crapola. I also guess people in Cozumel use local banks in their country. Cayman banks are not big on foreigners having accounts here despite what foreign newspapers might say.

I wonder why Playa has never been talked about for a pier. Mainland attractions and activities are far more plentiful. I realize the industry doesn't own 5th street like they own Melgar, but the possibilities are far greater.

My understanding of why Cozumel has become so popular with cruise ships is because it is considered "safe." Playa, OTOH, has had recent murders and other incidents as have other cities in Mexico that used to be popular cruise ship stops. The first time I went to Puerto Vallarta (around 2011) they had diverted the ships to there from Mazatlan because of safety concerns--that is what I was told by some of the passengers anyway. They seem to be running out of "safe" places to dock. I know one woman who is going on a Harley Cruise of Cozumel from a cruise ship in January so I guess whatever activities are available, that is what the passengers will do. Playa or Tulum certainly offer much better access to Maya ruins but instead there is a tour of the minor ruins on the island. Even in Puerto Vallarta they try to keep the passengers together on a bus and only take them to select locations where they won't as exposed to the dangerous natives. The cruise ship also goes to Havana so to me that indicates that Cuba is considered safer than many places in Mexico.

. I think the world's most expensive hot dog is sold in Tomorrow Land at the magic kingdom in Orlando... $10 for a hot dog and fries or something.

Reality is Not Even Close!

Back
Top Bottom