New Destin Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, been a while since I dove Destin, but went back last weekend and checked out the new jetties theyre building. They have the 5 lagoons built and rocks out, but still working on the boardwalk and facilities. We snorkeled it and it was great for that, and for new divers. Lots of life on it already, maybe 20 ft deep. Water was clear, though current was ripping. You could probably drift the whole thing from south to north. Heres a short clip.

Sounds like a good time. I've never been to Destin. How much ground could you cover if you drifted the whole area?

Sounds like a good time. I've never been to Destin. How much ground could you cover if you drifted the whole area?

A good 1/3 mile just at the new north part. If you get there at slack tide you could also swim up and down. People typically dive the southern part of the east jetty which is deeper as well. I suppose if you planned it right you could do the whole thing though Ive never tried. Top part is the new area though google doesnt have what it looks like this year. itll be extended further.

upload_2018-8-21_13-54-21.png

Interesting. It seems the red lines are the new or projected new jetties and are off Holiday Isle. I've dived that whole area over quite a few winters. Not sure what the purpose of these jetties is--it's basically shallow and sandy around there, but deeper if you go out to the middle of the Harbor. Will be interesting to check it out the next time we're down there.

The new part is just the most northern. Heres what it will look like

Attachments

• Document.jpg
    Document.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 217
The new part is just the most northern. Heres what it will look like
I guess it's for sand preservation. I have dived from shore at this spot, so I guess you'd now have to climb over the rocks...or maybe walk to one of those breaks in the jetty. Why do you think there are those breaks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom