New Dive Club (Phoenix, AZ) Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
So I've done some digging re: Scuba Club (Liability) Insurance don't find much info in the US, it's definitely prevalent in the UK. I have contacted a Sports Insurance firm, we'll see what they have to say.

-Garrett
Oops missed some fine print

Note: There is no liability coverage for claims arising out of any of the following activities: Gymnastics, Cheerleader Pyramiding, Trampolines or Inflatable Devices, Waterslides, White Water Rafting, Scuba Diving, Bungee Jumping, Rock Climbing, Repelling, Bicycle Tours, Ballooning, Parachuting, Rodeo, Motorsports or any other Saddle Animal Exposures.

This seems to be a reoccuring problem I've found. DAN nor PADI insure clubs either. Maybe this is why nobody has it and if you can find it, it's ridiculously expensive, I'm going to start contacting some clubs.

-Garrett

I think that a new club would be a great idea and a welcome relief from what is currently available. Focal point being the joy of diving. I'm looking forward to being able to meet some of the divers from around town.

I've PMed Andy a couple of times. According to him, what you say is right on. An attorney will find a reason.

Even with waivers, that only keeps the diver from suing. I read about a case back east where a shop owner was sued by family of a deceased dive and won because they never signed the waiver. That's the only case I've come across, though. So it doesn't seem it's very prevalent.

As for a name...I don't know. I'll keep it in mind, though.

Dive-aholic:
I've PMed Andy a couple of times. According to him, what you say is right on. An attorney will find a reason.

Even with waivers, that only keeps the diver from suing. I read about a case back east where a shop owner was sued by family of a deceased dive and won because they never signed the waiver. That's the only case I've come across, though. So it doesn't seem it's very prevalent.

You doubted me :11:

But seriously if we did it correctly and organized under a non-profit corp. i.e. a 501(c)(7) Not for profit Recreational organizations and Social Clubs. The officers and members would be afforded protection by the corporation blanket as long as we followed the rules and bylaws we established. Waivers would add a necessary additional layer of protection. This seems to be the formula the clubs I've talked to are following. None have had any legal issues or waivers challenged, a couple have been around for over 25 years.

As for your family suing shop case, the PI attorney saw $$ signs, they are a for profit company with assets and presumabley with a group liability insurance policy. A non profit corporation with no assets or huge insurance policy wouldn't look so appetizing as Andy pointed out earlier. I'm not sure if we are or are not in a state where you can waive your heirs rights to liability claims, but if we are all the better.

I'm not saying Liability insurance is a bad thing, I think it's just realistically unobtainable, even for large independant clubs based upon my research so far.

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Getting back to the fun part of this discussion...

While being still very premature, does anybody have any suggestions for a name??

I haven't been able to think of anything (yet).

-Garrett

Wheeew, OK back to the fun stuff...

First Welcome to the board divelizard :D

Names, I came up with a few to toss around, some aren't all that original :wink:

• Desert Tortoise Dive Club (if your fat & slow and you know it clap your hands :clapping: actually I kindof like it)
  • Scorpion Scuba - Dive Club
  • Valley of the Sun Dive Club
  • Monsoon Divers(? I kindof like the Monsoon part)
  • Desert Rat Dive Club (kindof been done)

-Garrett

After some further discussion with others, it may be in our best interest to leave it an informal thing. There are more than a few of us, myself included, that are either divemasters or instructors. There is a lot of liability involved with that. I know that my liability insurance will not cover an activity that is not store sanctioned. That is an SSI thing. I'm not sure how PADI is set up. Just something else to think about.

divelizard,

Thanks for the comments. We already have a really informal thing going on here, some of us would like a bit more, possibly, this is just a discussion after all. As I understand it PADI DM/Instructors are not handcuffed to a store and therefore their insurance isn't dependant on shop activities unless the shop is picking up a portion of their coverage. Liabitlity itself is a topic of discussion here though and how best to minimalize the risks to members. We're talking to other clubs, etc. to get a feel of how other do it.

Stick around though we have plenty of informal gatherings.

-Garrett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom