new dive flag idea/design

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imwright1985

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im an engineering major and have found traditional dive flags annoying because at times they can pivot to where you have less likelyness of spotting the flag if operating a boat. My idea is to have diveflags modified to be 360 visable by taking 2 flags and having them seamed together in the middle with 2 90 deg wires holding apart (if looking from the top or botom would look like a plus sign. It would allow the flag to be visable from every direction so increase the visability of the flags and divers safety.

Any prototypes developed as yet?
It sounds interesting.
Kind of a plus sign looking placard assembly of sorts.
Chug

nahh no prototypes yet, just rather meet the minimum requirements and dive, If someone wants a prototype i could make one up. I think it would be a good idea just to take some of the ignorance of "ohh i didnt see the dive flag" since they would be visible from everywhere. 2 weeks ago had a charter boat pull that crap with us while we had divers in water diving a private boat (flag on boat and being towed by divers). If you have a Bimini top my buddy can make a telescoping flag to clamp on bimini top, with stops so it wont fall apart, all Stainless if your interested

You may want to do something with the support so it does not get spinning like a turbine in the breeze. There is surely room for improvement.

Remember that vehicle space is often at a premium. If it could fold up or be kink proof that would be cool.

Pete

I think that you are onto something with this idea.
I would reccommend you get moving with a patent or someone else will, or has already, who knows how long ago.
I am thinking light nylon flags and a piece of split pvc or something reclasped at the top.
Kind like the 4 sided things those evil long liners use that show up so well on radar.
Maybe just a 3 sided box kite kinda config is the way to go.
being able to see the flag from a sided is a nice idea.
It is a good concept.
Chug

Yeahe, right now im kinda looking for ambition to do it, i think the return on something like this would be minimal so not really persuing getting pattent since its a pretty expensive process. When i get day or 2 off Usually i spend it diving or doing yardwork. but eventually on a rainy day i will probably work on it

Im an engineering major and have found traditional dive flags annoying because at times they can pivot to where you have less likelyness of spotting the flag if operating a boat. My idea is to have diveflags modified to be 360 visable by taking 2 flags and having them seamed together in the middle with 2 90 deg wires holding apart (if looking from the top or botom would look like a plus sign. It would allow the flag to be visable from every direction so increase the visability of the flags and divers safety.
How about adding the "radar " material to the dive flag...so any boat with a radar can immediately FIND the divers by using their own radar.
Dan V

How about adding the "radar " material to the dive flag...so any boat with a radar can immediately FIND the divers by using their own radar.
Dan V

I would hate that idea, as it is every time someone on a boat im with jumps in the water another boat is dropping right next to us. stinks even worse hitting the "common" spots here because they get packed at times (ive seen 4 boats dropped on playground/ cross current barge ares at times). its kinda like people see a boat with divers that just pull right up to a spot and drop get the idea that we know where to go so they just kinda lurk behind us and copy what we do rather the invest in fish/depth finder and gps. if it comes down to people needing radar to find divers to not run them over i think they need to require boating licenses with recertification every like 5 years.

I would hate that idea, as it is every time someone on a boat im with jumps in the water another boat is dropping right next to us. stinks even worse hitting the "common" spots here because they get packed at times (ive seen 4 boats dropped on playground/ cross current barge ares at times). its kinda like people see a boat with divers that just pull right up to a spot and drop get the idea that we know where to go so they just kinda lurk behind us and copy what we do rather the invest in fish/depth finder and gps. if it comes down to people needing radar to find divers to not run them over i think they need to require boating licenses with recertification every like 5 years.

You have a very different perspective than I.... If I take my boat out[34 foot Regal Express Cruiser] , we go to places far from other divers..there are plenty of sites most dive operators don't like to visit, because they take too long to get to/cost too much in fuel and time. Or, you don't go out at the typical morning or afternoon dive trip times.

And particularly when we do deeper dives, like the 130 foot ledge or the 220 foot ledge, or the deeper wrecks, you really don't have any other divers to bother you....although fishing boats are ever present on ANY good dive site in deep water.
When we are on these deeper sites, the distance from shore is a deal breaker for swimming home. Having a fool proof way to ensure that we can be found, even if some wierd emergency or problem has our boat "no where to be seen", when we come up, is very important to us...So the radar flag would be good for us, or anyone who dives far from shore, or in areas not crowded with divers.\

Years ago, I used to dive over 25 miles out, off of Fort Pierce....Awesome deep dives, but if the boat lost sight of you....you could be in the water for a VERY LONG time....

I could make the flag myself, but I still think there would be a good market niche for this...there are plenty of divers who must dive areas far from shore, ie., not everyone dives the close stuff off of S Florida or like it.

Regards,
Dan V

Wouldnt that just be a matter of more dense material, i know some sonars can pick up on foam coolers and stuff floating in water? I have been stuck on a 19ft sailfish CC so with 4 divers kinda scarry getting off shore a bit. I think that a bigger bouy in tow would kinda eliminate that for boat dives, or have a waterproof gps that could act like a honing beacon. that would be kinda slick so you could drift dive kinda stealthy to keep lurkers away

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom