• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New diver, about to purchase GoPro

Discussion in 'Underwater Videography' started by unicornmermaid, Jul 22, 2019.

1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Put them on YouTube first so you can easily share them HERE on SB, where we will never ever sell your data to third parties or governments! Feel free to add ScubaBoard as a tag! :D :D :D [/shameless plug]

Dark Wolf and Manatee Diver like this.
  2. Manatee Diver

Manatee Diver Manta Ray

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    My data isn't worth much, and based on my last Global Entry interview the government already knows every detail of your life. :rofl3:

TBH I always felt that message boards and Youtube were more suited for the long form or more detailed content that social media doesn't work with.

Like this post:
    Ishigaki Trip Report

My post about the same dives on Facebook was basically "It was cool and I can't wait to get back."

3. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I often just post a link to the thread I started on Facebook. "Had a great time in XXX, my full report is here:..."

However, it's my opinion that dive shops who don't YouTube on a daily basis are missing a lot of free publicity. Posting here is almost as important, but I think I'm a bit biased on that! We have the divers they are looking for. :D :D :D

4. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'd rather have 3 or 4 smaller cards than one large capacity card. Swap out every other day. If you lose your camera on day 6 you won't lose all the videos from your trip. When you see people lose their cameras it is often losing the videos that hurts the most.

5. Manatee Diver

Manatee Diver Manta Ray

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Agreed, too many dive shops ignore social media, but when I am researching an area often all I have to go on are vague recommendations and what they post to social media.

As such every shop should be posting pictures and video at a very minimum to Facebook and Line (if you serve an Asian market). Youtube, Facebook diving groups, and diving boards are a good idea as well.

Also take a picture of your contact information onto your camera, and all the cards. Best to do it with your first camera, but for most people it is often only done on their second camera.

ReefHound likes this.
  6. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Agree with Sam,

I put a Kodak Instamatic in a plastic housing in 1967 and never looked back. Mart Toggweiler helped me build a housing for my grandfather's old Argus C3 in 1973. Lugging that big old circular contraption around underwater took some dedication.

Gopros today take substantial task loading off the diver as compared to days of old. Still, one needs to have the dive skill-set down before adding to it with the fun of photography. If I was a new diver going on a dive vacation I would take a Go Pro with me but without all of the lens attachments, lights, tray, etc... Keep it simple, clip it to your BC, unclip it and use it when comfortable on the dive, you have your bouyancy dialed in, .... reattach it during ascent so you are not worrying about hanging on to it, etc...

My 2psi.

P.S. Not really on topic but the subject of photography brought back a distinct memory of an event on a dive boat I was part of. The long and short of it is that I feel personally responsible for the global animosity between underwater photographers and those who spearfish. It is really a funny story that I will have to relate one of these days. M

7. jonhall

jonhall Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Great advice. My buddy has a GoPro and on dives would take many long videos during a dive. Most of the time swimming along with the GoPro out in front of him. In the beginning, he would tell me he thought he had some nice footage of something - then he would get his computer which he downloaded the videos to, to show me - there were so many video clips and they were so long, it was all I could do to stay patient, sit, and wait for him to find what he was looking for. Through time, he has hundreds and hundreds of video clips that are not labeled except by a number. He never looks at them because he never labeled or catalogued them. He still has the GoPro but for the last few years has not taken it on any dives. He counts on me to do short video clips and take pictures with my camera.

8. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

The post-processing is the hardest part and the top reason cited by those who returned back to still photos. I don't turn it on and let it run. I aim for specific clips, 30 - 60 seconds though maybe a few minutes or more if focused on something particularly interesting (i.e. the exploits of a curious octopus). Then asap (preferably at end of day) I offload to external usb hard drive, apply metadata tagging for title and clip rating. Soon after I'll use a trimmer to retain only the quality parts of the clip. Then they are ready for assembly into a "movie". If you don't want to get all that involved, you at least need to rename the file to something descriptive.

Sh0rtBus, icechip and jonhall like this.
  9. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Agree with your approach. Beats the old days of returning from your dive trip, sending in your 8mm or Super8 film for processing, waiting a couple of weeks (usually), then physically cutting and splicing the film into your movie you want to show people (then dragging the projector out, setting up the screen, gathering everyone inside from the backyard BBQ....) .. Divers have it easy today. :)

The Chairman, jonhall and rhwestfall like this.
  10. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

Leave the camera at home. You’re a brand new diver, You’re going to have to dedicate enough mental acuity to actually diving, adding a GoPro to that is going to take away from your ability to safely dive.

I get it, you want footage of that once-in-a-lifetime encounter with an orca, a great white, a pod of dolphins, and a whale shark all at the same time, but it’s going to be really hard to prove it when you drop your GoPro into the depths because you sat on a sea urchin on the edge of a 5000ft wall because you can’t control your buoyancy.

rhwestfall and divad like this.