• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New diver buying 1st reg, Deep 6 or Hog?

Discussion in 'Regulators' started by Mike Beck, Nov 18, 2020.

1. NothingClever

NothingClever ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I’d recommend Deep 6 but know that I’m biased. I spent a week with LandonL (co-owner with cerich) and found he has great values. Integrity, commitment and transparency are at the top of the list. I’m confident if I had a problem on the other side of the planet, he’d do some heavy lifting to get me back underwater. I think something worth noting, too, is that he didn’t disparage other manufacturers which I found to be refreshing. In fact, he recognized and appreciated innovations from other manufacturers.

This is an aside but related, IMO. I like his instructional approach; he focuses on high standards without being a wiener about it. Lastly, he never used the course to try to sell me anything. He’s pretty low key. That spoke volumes to me.

RyanT, rob.mwpropane, txgoose and 4 others like this.
  2. -JD-

-JD- Eclecticist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    HOG: Manual requires class. Parts Kits openly available (DRIS, NESS, and Piranha at least.)
    D6: Manual is online with liability waiver. I didn't realize that they wouldn't sell the kits without the class any more - seems strange since they (at least used-to) include a service kit with the purchase.

3. Mike Beck

Mike Beck Angel Fish

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with a Hog D3 setup. I think $350 for the 1st, 2nd and octo was well worth it!

4. Jim Lapenta

Jim Lapenta Dive Shop

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    As far as the on-line for HOG, I don't see that happening. TDI Standards are what determine that and one of the rationales is that it's pretty hard for the instructor to supervise a rebuild over the computer. I can't physically verify you have things tight enough on those items without a torque spec. Or be able to look inside your reg to see the orifice if there's a suspected issue.
    Then there's the practical aspect of having to sit in front of the computer for the 10 hours over two days that my class takes. I ain't doing it! Just thinking about it makes me want to double the price for on-line over in person!
    What if the internet goes out? Camera freezes? etc. Not worth the aggravation for me.

RyanT, abnfrog, Johnoly and 1 other person like this.
  5. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    i agree with jim on the online aspect ..........i will never do it .

CAPTAIN SINBAD and rhwestfall like this.
  6. Jimchris

Jimchris Angel Fish

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    As an LDS technician, choose a brand that your LDS can readily service.

oly5050user likes this.
  7. abnfrog

abnfrog Tech Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    or learn to do it yourself , THE RIGHT WAY

8. txgoose

txgoose ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Now that royally sucks. <various expletives escaped> I feel like I need to go back and edit all of my posts commenting on the fact that they believe their customers have intelligence. <more expletives escaping>

abnfrog and Tournesol2000 like this.
  9. NothingClever

NothingClever ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

Works if you only dive local, mate. For travelers to crummy locations, service your own is the only way to go.

10. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

Interesting how both entities with "turn the world on its end" plans have gone back to the old ways of mainstream thinking...

couv, drk5036 and txgoose like this.