new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, he would learn much. much faster and safer if he could just tag along and WATCH somebody who has been doing the kinds of dives(solo) for the last 5 or 10 years (that he wants to do).

Totally agree.

Sheesh, couldn’t find a thumbs up emoji to save my life.

:thumb:
(FTFY...a Mod) :)

I don't get the part of the fairy tale where messing around with a catch bag full of tangled garbage somehow attracted a big fish, making the experiment a success.

It's like dangling something shiny and the raccoon appears.
I don't get the part of the fairy tale where messing around with a catch bag full of tangled garbage somehow attracted a big fish, making the experiment a success.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I realize now more than ever how stupid that was. Idiot! Actually, I don't even see why it would be fun in going very deep if it's going to be shorter. Like sex, I would want it to last a long time.
One thing I was wondering is if it would have been safer to rest awhile at the surface, then free dive down to the anchor? I think I calculated it would be fine as I saw my instructor go up and down three times as other students couldn't control themselves and shot to the surface from 55 feet. But today I feel like I have an ever so slight tingling sensation in my right hand, like I slept on my arm. It could all be in my head worrying about it, also.
Thanks again everyone - looking forward to many more (safe) dives!

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I realize now more than ever how stupid that was. Idiot! Actually, I don't even see why it would be fun in going very deep if it's going to be shorter. Like sex, I would want it to last a long time.
One thing I was wondering is if it would have been safer to rest awhile at the surface, then free dive down to the anchor? I think I calculated it would be fine as I saw my instructor go up and down three times as other students couldn't control themselves and shot to the surface from 55 feet. But today I feel like I have an ever so slight tingling sensation in my right hand, like I slept on my arm. It could all be in my head worrying about it, also.
Thanks again everyone - looking forward to many more (safe) dives!

We look forward to you having many more safe dives as well.

Review the materials you studied and refresh your memory before going out again.

Get yourself a buddy and get involved with other divers in your area.

And if you think about it some more, your instructor wasn't going up and down from 100', was he? Regardless, that he was doing that, your training should have taught you that it comes with risk.

Would have been safer to just lose the anchor.
Taking a healthy SI (I prefer a couple of hours at least) and swapping the tank for a full one could work, too.

But losing the anchor would still be the safest option, I'll give you that. Particularly since lifting an anchor solo, without a lift bag and the knowledge to use the bag, isn't an optimal solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom