New diver from NC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last trip was in July 16, wife's knee surgey has kept me from coast for a couple months. On that trip it was 74 at 78ft and 80 at 35ft. Think we had a cool layer since in May I was showing 78 at that Depth on the Hyde.

You should see 80s in the top water and mid to high 70s at the bottom. I can check.

Thanks.

For mid 70s, 3mm full would be fine for me. I'll bring 2mm shorty also to layer over the 3mm full for the 2nd dive just in case it gets colder.

So, I went on the dive Sunday. Boat crew was excellent. The visibility on the Hyde was so good that we decided to dive it twice. Saw at least 9 sand tiger sharks lurking in the wreck. Working with the two dive leads from the Aqua Safari team I was able to see the whole wreck including a short stop at the sand bottom. Had a great time and averaged 40 minutes on both tanks which I thought was good air consumption for me as a new driver. I did take my camera down on the second dive since we planned on spending most of the time hovering over the deck of the ship. Didn't bother me at all and I just took a few quick snaps. Caught a decent picture of one of the many sharks on the wreck.

Visibility was easily 60 feet. Very warm around 50 feet with a very noticable change below that but still very comfortable in a full wet suit.

All in all a great dive and run by a great crew.

Attachments

• P8200057.jpg
    P8200057.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 57
Glad you had a great introduction to NC diving. August diving can be awesome when the weather and ocean cooperate.

Brian,

I was on the other boat that was anchored out there when you guys arrived. Yeah, the dive was awesome. Here's a photo of a big stingray I took on the Hyde. BTW, nice photo of the shark. I got a couple of shots of them, but they were farther away from me so they didn't come out as clear, but were good nonetheless.
Stingray.jpg

Attachments

• PICT0053.JPG
    PICT0053.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I wish I had been there for the Ray. We saw an excellent spotted eagle Ray in Mexico while on my last check dive. It was an awesome sight. Looks like the sharks moved in when we arrived on site. Maybe we looked tastier, lol.

Figured it was your group over there when we showed up.

The big rays will sometimes swim over the wreck but I have seen them out in the sand near the Hyde more often. Not every time but fairly frequent. Never know what will show up on the Hyde. Year ago there were a couple of manta rays hanging around.

A good reason to go back then. I had such a good expirence on that dive I am looking for when I can go back.

Thanks! I have been involved in photography for several decades now. I have done terrestrial and celestial so underwater was the next logical place to bring a camera :) Plus, luck was with me. You should see all the crap shots I deleted. I remember a quote a long time ago, it goes something like this. The only difference between a good and bad photographer is knowing what photos to share and what photos to hide in a dark deep drawer.

now there is a new dive site just east of Raleigh called Mystery Lake that was supposed to open around the end of July.

It is open now. Have dove it a couple of times. viz is running better than at Fantasy Lake. Pretty site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom