New Diver Gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just started Diver training. Where is the best place to get gear? New or used?

I wore an Aqua Lung Pro HD BC and it fit perfectly and comfortably. I think I would like to get one

Dive Gear Express
Deep 6 Dive Gear
Piranha Dive Mfg
Leisure Pro
Dive Rite In Scuba

Some of the sites I prefer.
I also prefer backplate/wing.

DW

If you have no one to help you, stay away from eBay, unless you run a listing by here. Guys here will help you sort the trash from good deals.

The classifieds here are a good place for used.

Take your time, ask around, read this board, talk to your instructor, don’t trust a single point of view! The loudest aren’t always right.

If you start to get early certitudes, take the time to question them before buying! I changed my mind a lot in the first months.

That said, this board in an awesome source of information! The gear hunt is a real pleasure!

Enjoy!

If you plan on getting tanks filled, please consider buying gear where your tanks will be filled. At least give them an opportunity to match prices with legit online sources.

One hand washes the other.

As others have said, seek input from many sources and add a pinch of salt, especially for anyone who claims "the best." As you are new to the sport i recommend renting for a while; you will be in a better position to filter the input when you have a few more dives under your belt.

Above all don't stress and enjoy the process - haha, it's easy to say!

I would definitely talk to your local dive shop first for multiple reasons, one of which is that they can generally service the gear that they sell, and another bring that it really pays to build that relationship.

See if you can try different pieces of equipment before you buy.

See if you can try different pieces of equipment before you buy.

THIS! You will see a lot of people here telling you get a Back Plate and Wing (BPW).... Heck, I love mine. But it's about what works for YOU. My wife can't stand back inflate. Try a few things out (rent or borrow) then decide.
My advice is always worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully
James

I second the recommendation to take your time and try different options before buying to minimize regrets.

Having said that, I ignored the BPW advice I was given here when I bought my first set and two years later sold the BCD to buy a BPW.

I wore an Aqua Lung Pro HD BC and it fit perfectly and comfortably.

Going back to your original post, you asked specifically about the Pro HD so I will answer that directly. I hope it will give you an idea of the kind of feedback you should get when you ask about any piece of gear. Once again -- this is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

I think it's a decent jacket BC and would serve you well at least in the short term if you were to buy it. For some divers, it would be their first BC and their only BC. However, based on my experience, if you become a frequent diver, it's likely you will change out for a different style of BC at some point depending on your style of diving (cold water, travel etc). That doesn't make it a bad choice -- just know that your standards and needs are likely to evolve as you progress.

Some pros:

Wrap-around buoyancy (good floatation at the surface, tends to keep you vertically oriented)
Weight integrated (more secure weighting than a nylon weight belt)
Trim weight pockets (offers options for distributing weight and achieving better trim)
Large storage pockets (better to carry extra items in pockets vs. dangling)
Durable (in rental, these BCs generally hold up well to heavy use. There were some issues with the seam welds leaking in early models but that seems to have been addressed)

Some cons:
Wrap-around buoyancy (generally makes it harder to maintain horizontal trim during diving. Not impossible, but not optimal)
Large storage pockets (less streamlined underwater so you will use more energy to move. Unless you need to carry a lot of accessories, the large pockets are a detriment)
Inherent buoyancy (the fabric and padding of the BC will trap air, especially at the beginning of the dive, and therefore you will need to carry additional weight to offset the buoyancy. It's not the worst BC in this regard, but it's not as neutrally/negatively buoyant as a BP/W or minimalist BC)

This isn't a complete list of pros/cons but gives you some idea of the trade-offs. Every piece of gear has trade-offs.

You mentioned that it fit well. By that I would expect that, when you are wearing your normal exposure suit, the BC straps are neither all the way in or all the way out. You want a range of adjustment either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom