New diver having a flap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the journal of my OW class (link in my sig line). You are not alone.

With 5 pool sessions, my guess is that many of these things will get much easier. But if you need extra time or practice, ask for it. Don't go into open water until you feel secure with your pool skills. I did, and survived it, but had I known I could have asked for more time, it would have been better, I think.

I'm worried about having to do this 18m underwater!

FWIW there's no difference between 5 and 18 m underwater for this. It'd be nice if the course included a couple of OW dives before the certification ones so you'd get the taste for the depth, water temperature, visibility -- all of those are usually not like the pool and can add to the stress. I doubt anyone does that for the OW course. :(

My recommendation would be to approach the instructor and tell them you are struggling and not comfortable. They should have a DM or another instructor take you seperately and walk through the issues you are having. Don't stress......it's alot to take in during a very brief class. Many have struggled just like you are and they went on to enjoy long careers in diving. And above all else......DON'T rush through and assume you will get more comfortable after certification. Take the time now to learn the basics well and don't move forward till you are comfortable.

Thank you all for the advice, reassurance and sharing of experiences. I'm feeling much more confident about going back into the water now. I'm going to go to the dive centre to ask about some private sessions and perhaps treat myself to a mask and snorkel while I am there :D

Pleased to find out about just how friendly and helpful the diving community is. Thanks again and I hope to meet as many of you as possible in the future.

Pleased to find out about just how friendly and helpful the diving community is.

Just don't ask what kind of fins you should buy...

:shocked2:

I'm worried about having to do this 18m underwater!

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you won't be the full 18m down when you do your skills in the sea for the first time. I actually found it much easier in the sea than in the pool. The pool I learned in was only 2m deep and it was all too easy to bounce off the side or the bottom while focusing on a new skill. In open water there is more room to manoeuvre and I felt much less constrained.

I'm sure you'll do well. It sounds like you have exactly the right attitude, and the determination to succeed.

I actually found it much easier in the sea than in the pool. The pool I learned in was only 2m deep and it was all too easy to bounce off the side or the bottom while focusing on a new skill. In open water there is more room to manoeuvre and I felt much less constrained.

Also, salt water should sting less than chlorine when it gets in your eyes and/or you suck it in through the nose. It depends a lot on the temperature and salinity and your individual reaction to those, of course. Saline at body temperature would be ideal but where does one find a sea like that?

Saline at body temperature would be ideal but where does one find a sea like that?

Cyprus - in the summer and autumn :) - add to that the visibility, and it is definately better than UK diving. But I would echo what has been said above, particularly about finding a local club, whether BSAC or other agency. I have three BSAC clubs within easy travel of where I live, (all within 25-30 minutes drive), two have their own weekly pool access, one to a 5 metre pool, and the other has access to an 18m deep quarry twice a week year round. So I belong to all three and dive with whichever one has a dive when I am around :) .

Remember that the Q card is just the start of your scuba journey, once you have it you can join a club and go on club dives or pool sessions and practice until you are really comfortable with all your skills. Clubs are also a great way to meet dive buddies and find out about dives and trips. - Phil

Moonfish---You've already picked up on the fact that you aren't alone so I wouldn't stress at all.
ONE point that stands out in my mind a bit was your problem clearing your buddys/training partners octi regulator.
I literally had this exact issue with three students two weeks ago so its fresh in my mind. (Im trainee Divemaster)
In one case the mouthpiece had a split in it so it sucked in water whenever it was used.As it was pool training I gave the student my rig so they could carry on with their skills.
With the other two BOTH of them handed over the regulator upside down so the reg was never going to clear.
Your problem was most likely one of the two.

Just felt I have to add-Hope it goes without saying the split mouthpiece was discarded then replaced on return to base.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom