New diver in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, that’s a whole different discussion. The blue hole or turneffe atoll wouldn’t just be ‘one dive’. They are both a full day and are not scheduled every day. The guys at Ramon’s hideaway and the amigos del mar may go a couple of times a week if they have enough divers. They have the bigger boats that are conducive to the crossing and can get to blue hole in 3-ish hours or turneffe in 2-ish. You will usually do 3 dives on that trip and be back by around 6pm. I think both trips leave at around 5am, but you can have an off season week where neither go at all in the week. It’s a bit of a crapshoot. The Belize pro dive guys go to turneffe is they have 14-ish divers who want to go and 24 hours notice. They do usually run 3 dives a day (2 tank morning and tank afternoon at about 2pm) on one of the divesite in the reef. I’m always happy to dive wherever they are going. There is always plenty to see :)

Plus 100 for Turneffe! Pass on the BH imho.

Ah, that’s a whole different discussion. The blue hole or turneffe atoll wouldn’t just be ‘one dive’. They are both a full day and are not scheduled every day. The guys at Ramon’s hideaway and the amigos del mar may go a couple of times a week if they have enough divers. They have the bigger boats that are conducive to the crossing and can get to blue hole in 3-ish hours or turneffe in 2-ish. You will usually do 3 dives on that trip and be back by around 6pm. I think both trips leave at around 5am, but you can have an off season week where neither go at all in the week. It’s a bit of a crapshoot. The Belize pro dive guys go to turneffe is they have 14-ish divers who want to go and 24 hours notice. They do usually run 3 dives a day (2 tank morning and tank afternoon at about 2pm) on one of the divesite in the reef. I’m always happy to dive wherever they are going. There is always plenty to see :)
I will try to make a reservation right away then. Hopefully they can take us. Thank you!

You might want look at Hol Chan. At the southern end of Ambergris and I think locals do a lot of their OWC dives there. Easy shallow diving with a lot to see. It's been 10+ years since we have been to Belize so things are sure to have changed. Best snorkel trip I have done. Still fed the fish where we anchored. Not a great Carib reef, but a nice intro dive.

I’ve taken boats into Dangriga for maintenance. Not the easiest river access with the sand bar, but is was nearer than going up to Belize City.

I wouldn’t bother with the BH from San Pedro. The BH itself isn’t much cop, but other dives around Half Moon Caye are great.

I will try to make a reservation right away then. Hopefully they can take us. Thank you!
Best in mind that they will likely only be able to confirm if they get enough divers and that sometime only happens when they pitch the day divers the day before. I usually have the guys send me an email if turneff is ‘on’ which occasionally only comes the day before when they have confirmed the numbers. They can’t guarantee or ‘book’ unless they have 100% enough people who have paid deposits. So it can be quite random. The dive shops are good at speaking to each other though to refer divers to each other and fill a boat. Better to have one boat at one shop with enough divers than 3 boats cancelled as none have enough.

I’d say it’s best to tell ramon’s/Belize pro etc that you want to go and they should email you as soon as they get enough so that you can jump in with that boat. You have to be flexible and go when the boat goes. I see a lot of guys show up on their first day and say ‘we have planned that we will be diving the blue hole on wednesday’ only to be met with ‘ that’s
Going to be a long swim for you’ :) it’s not an ‘every day guaranteed thing’ but as long as you are in season there is a high chance a boat will be going. It’s unlikely you wouldn’t get a spot because the boat is too full. I’ve never seen that happen.

Best in mind that they will likely only be able to confirm if they get enough divers and that sometime only happens when they pitch the day divers the day before. I usually have the guys send me an email if turneff is ‘on’ which occasionally only comes the day before when they have confirmed the numbers. They can’t guarantee or ‘book’ unless they have 100% enough people who have paid deposits. So it can be quite random. The dive shops are good at speaking to each other though to refer divers to each other and fill a boat. Better to have one boat at one shop with enough divers than 3 boats cancelled as none have enough.

I’d say it’s best to tell ramon’s/Belize pro etc that you want to go and they should email you as soon as they get enough so that you can jump in with that boat. You have to be flexible and go when the boat goes. I see a lot of guys show up on their first day and say ‘we have planned that we will be diving the blue hole on wednesday’ only to be met with ‘ that’s
Going to be a long swim for you’ :) it’s not an ‘every day guaranteed thing’ but as long as you are in season there is a high chance a boat will be going. It’s unlikely you wouldn’t get a spot because the boat is too full. I’ve never seen that happen.
Thanks! This is the path I took. I'm on a "waiting list now" with the Belize Pro. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

You might want look at Hol Chan. At the southern end of Ambergris and I think locals do a lot of their OWC dives there. Easy shallow diving with a lot to see. It's been 10+ years since we have been to Belize so things are sure to have changed. Best snorkel trip I have done. Still fed the fish where we anchored. Not a great Carib reef, but a nice intro dive.
I will check it out. Thank you!

I’ve taken boats into Dangriga for maintenance. Not the easiest river access with the sand bar, but is was nearer than going up to Belize City.

I wouldn’t bother with the BH from San Pedro. The BH itself isn’t much cop, but other dives around Half Moon Caye are great.
I was considering Atolls but seems to hard to get anywhere:( Will try to look for partners on this site :) May be there are divers travelling on my dates ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom