New diver in NJ - how to log more dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New OW diver here. I want to dive more frequently instead of only on vacation trips. Have never done any shore diving though - is it difficult to get used to? Would probably dive in NJ/NY

Also, what is the value of joining a dive club in NYC?

New OW diver here. I want to dive more frequently instead of only on vacation trips. Have never done any shore diving though - is it difficult to get used to? Would probably dive in NJ/NY

Also, what is the value of joining a dive club in NYC?
I'd start with the Shark River Inlet and the back bay just behind it. Dive shops close to the inlet will give you plenty of information. They also coordinate group dives that are especially useful for new divers and those unfamiliar with the area. There is also an excellent book listing most NJ shore dives, "NJ Beach Diver" (Berg). Shore diving is generally quite easy. When conditions are good these dives can be wonderful, with lots of marine life to see.

Last edited:
Also you can dive a Dutch Springs in Bethlehem Pa. and if wait till end of Sept. can get a yearly pass for 019 and rest of 2018 at a good reduction.

Dutch is OK for starters. You will outgrow it.

Agilis gave you a ton of great information in precious few sentences. Start with Maclearie park in NJ.

...//... Also, what is the value of joining a dive club in NYC?
Joining the right one can be very rewarding.

My previous interactions with the Sea Gypsies (Home) really impressed me as to their inclusiveness and great local diving history. I've since lost touch, they may still be around...

Maclearie Park in Bemar, NJ off of Route 35 South has a platform with lockable footlockers and stairs into the water. There have been confirmed sightings of sea horses in past seasons. There is also Gull Island Park/Railroad Bridge dive site in Point Pleasant Beach off Broadway, across from 7-Eleven. Has a ramp into water. This one is somewhat tide dependent. The North end of A Street in Belmar is a good starting/ending point for a Shark River Inlet dive, also tide dependent.

Last edited:
Dutch is OK for starters. You will outgrow it.

Agilis gave you a ton of great information in precious few sentences. Start with Maclearie park in NJ.

Joining the right one can be very rewarding.

My previous interactions with the Sea Gypsies (Home) really impressed me as to their inclusiveness and great local diving history. I've since lost touch, they may still be around...
The Sea Gypsies are definitely still around! The value of doing a dive club is easy access to local charters and mentorship opportunities with seasoned northeast divers. It's a whole different ballgame from vacation diving so it helps to have somebody experienced show you the ropes. Highly recommend .

Another way to get more dives is to join a dive club. Clubs have events like harbor clean ups with prizes for “best treasure.” There are cost savings through clubs as well. Depending on your interest and the local department requirements, you may wish to volunteer with a local public safety dive team. Find a “dive crazy” buddy. I had one who would start calling me on Wednesday to set up the weekend activity. Or, you could be that guy. Just so you know: Your buddy’s wife won’t like you.

My first suggestion would be to get a drysuit. There are plenty of good wreck dives in NJ so you are not in a bad place. Great Lakes will also be within driving distance from you when you get a drysuit.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom