New diver in Oahu!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When the water temps rise to 80F or higher, that 5mm is going to be toasty. You'll survive, but perhaps budget a 2mm shorty for mid summer days, especially when doing 1- tank shore diving that includes a hike.

That said, living on the island will get you acclimated to the heat, so maybe you'll be fine with the 5mm year round.

Last edited:
I spent 4 years on Oahu with the Navy stationed on Pearl Harbor. I was doing a two tank dive 4 or 5 days / nights a week. I always wore a full wet suit but never a hood, primarily to protect my skin from abrasions on the lava rock and long spiny urchins. If you get cold just pee in your wetsuit while you're in the water, will take care of that in a jiffy. Sounds gross but it works. I preferred night diving myself but only because I loved the night life. The west and north west side of the island should be the go to place for spiny lobster if you are into seafood. My dive buddy and I would bring back 20 to 30 a night! Yum! Sold many of them to buy all my gear. Also, a great spot for a deep dive is the Haleiwa trench on the north shore. Was my first night dive. Loved it! If you dive off the south side of the island when the humpback whales are migrating you can hear them singing under water in between breaths. Also, if you swim out far at hanauma bay you'll see a ton of marine life and live coral. Great place to live and dive! I really miss it! Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom