New diver in the SF Bay Area looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamaros

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks!

I'm Eric, a Canadian currently working in Mountain View, California. I just earned my PADI OW certification two weeks ago, and I'm itching to get back in the water - I've already joined two dive clubs and am registered up to take my EANx and PPB courses in two weeks!

Anyways, I'm looking for local dive buddies who are willing to drive/dive down to Monterey with me on weekends. Disclaimer: I don't have a car, so by "drive down to Monterey with me", I really mean "beg you to carpool with me down to Monterey" :wink:

When I'm not diving or browsing ScubaBoard, I also enjoy singing, playing the guitar, and binge-watching anime.

Looking forward to meeting you,

Eric

Hi Eric, welcome! I can only recommend that you participate in the dive clubs and go on trips. I had a blast on a trip to Catalina organized by my local shop, and plan to go again next year.

Walt

I'm in Palo Alto.
When I go to Monterey, I usually drive down the day before I dive and spend a couple of nights too.
But it's been a while.

I'm in SF. I've made a few day drives down to Monterey, it's not bad. Start at the azz-crack of dawn, grab tanks at a shop in Monterey and be in the water by 930.

Only down side is there's little flexibility if the visibility is crap. You're already down there and basically have to cancel and drive back.

Eric,
Welcome to the Bay Area and welcome to diving!

Like someone mentioned check with your local shop. I bet they will have dive events and trips. For example, Bamboo Reef does monthly Fun Dives in Monterey. This time of year they do boat dives aboard Beach Hopper II and in the spring and summer they do shore dives that includes a BBQ, snacks, and drinks. Beach and Boat Fun Dives - Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving Centers

Fun dives are great ways to get in dives, learn new things, make new friends, and perhaps find a dive buddy. Dive trips are awesome ways to get in a ton of dives in beautiful and interesting places. I especially love livaboards.

~Rebecca

Only down side is there's little flexibility if the visibility is crap. You're already down there and basically have to cancel and drive back.
Victor808,
You'd cancel a dive because of poor visibility? Heck I've been in Monterey when conditions were dive by braille and it didn't stop me. I just wanna be in the water! A so-so day in the ocean is better than an awesome day on land! :) Also, you can usually find good vis in Monterey the deeper you go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom