New diver needs advice (Apeks WTX, Hydros Pro, other...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I was finally able to test my hydros pro! As promised I bring a short feedback.

I dived in the Attersee lake in Austria for 7 dives over 4 days with a dry suit. I am not a fresh water expert.

I had to have quite a bit of weight, 12kg, but the weight pockets and the trim weight pockets did a good job. 4kg in each integrated weight pockets and 2kg in each trim pockets. No space problem, the weights fit well.

The dives were between 20 and 30m in decent conditions for lake diving. The BCD was a good fit for me providing good freedom of movement and way enough lift for this setup. The Hydros was comfortable on land and in the water.

All in all I am quite happy with the hydros. The only downside is that I would have liked having maybe a pocket to stove some items.

Hi everyone,

I was finally able to test my hydros pro! As promised I bring a short feedback.

I dived in the Attersee lake in Austria for 7 dives over 4 days with a dry suit. I am not a fresh water expert.

I had to have quite a bit of weight, 12kg, but the weight pockets and the trim weight pockets did a good job. 4kg in each integrated weight pockets and 2kg in each trim pockets. No space problem, the weights fit well.

The dives were between 20 and 30m in decent conditions for lake diving. The BCD was a good fit for me providing good freedom of movement and way enough lift for this setup. The Hydros was comfortable on land and in the water.

All in all I am quite happy with the hydros. The only downside is that I would have liked having maybe a pocket to stove some items.

You can get the ninja pocket or hip pocket that attach to the integrated weight pockets. Made for the hydros. Glad to hear you like the bc. I love mine.

Thanks! I saw the ninja pocket before, I like that it can be folded when not used. I guess I'll go for this.

Currently own both the Hydros Pro and a DiveRite XT Wing with an STA and all the accessories.

Purchased the DiveRite BP/W setup first and went through the hassle of setting it all up perfectly and its been fantastic (50+ dives now). Its a simple design, tank doesn't shift about and the added weight from the back-plate is great. I added the quick release pouches and a pocket. All in all I cannot fault the system for its effectiveness and simplicity.

However, I needed a BCD for travel and something I could adjust quickly if I am going out with a friend. Not being too worried about paying the 'BCD' tax I opted for the Hydros Pro as its a wing design and I have not been disappointed. For single tank diving I use the Hydros 90% of the time now. With some trim weights the difference in the water is negligible compared to having the added weight of steel pack plate and the tank is almost as stable. What actually makes the Hydros so amazing is its very quick to adjust, the weight pockets are easier to deal with, its ligherweight and the BCD sticks to your body like nothing else! Whatever material the Hydros is made out-of it's incredible from a comfort perspective......albeit less durable than the thick straps on a traditional BP/W setup.

For single tank applications that don't involve going into caves or shipwrecks the Hydros Pro for me is the best wing setup I have used to date. I say 'best' as in most comfortable and ease of use. For rugged use where caves are involved it probably should't even be considered.

p.s. its not cheap, you are paying the 'branded' BCD tax and accessories will sting you. If money is a key factor then the more traditional BP/W is a better investment IMO.

I have had a hydros pro for 3 years now. Got a ninja pocket and its fell apart. Got the thigh pocket after and don't like it.
Now moved on to using tech shorts instead which I find much better and less messy on the hydros. The less stuff hanging off the better I have found.
I use mine a lot as I am an instructor so pockets work much better for me.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom