New Diver with BCD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that my preference is for direct connection to D rings:
Lights (both of them) - attached to boltsnaps with split rings and attached to chest D rings on either side.
Gauge - cable tied to boltsnap & connected to waist D ring
GoPro - connected with split ring to boltsnap & on waist D ring
Knife - fitted to harness

Retractors just seem like a problem waiting to happen imho.

I would be relatively happy if I had the quick connects as per @JackD342

All I really plan on using the retractor clip for is to hold my gauges close to my body so they aren't flopping around on me.
Just use boltsnaps tied with cave line. Look it up on YouTube. Don’t use a zip tie.
I didn't know the BC had proprietary attachment points. Makes one wonder if they ever heard of D-rings. One thumbs down for proprietary solutions.

Bob
Great comment Bob but I think that’s a thumbs down for most rec BCs!

I didn't know the BC had proprietary attachment points. Makes one wonder if they ever heard of D-rings. One thumbs down for proprietary solutions.

My Seaquest Balance has at least one built in female quick connect on the bottom right by my hip. Once you figure out the size of the matching male connector you can put a bunch of different things onto it. I never found it to be useful and never attached anything to it after figuring out what size I would need. There are better ways to connect things to a BCD then plastic click connectors.

Take it from me don't get the first thing you think is cool or that a shop is trying to sell. Talk to other people, rent some and find out what you like. If you plan on traveling, you may want something stream lined and light, if you want a BCD with rings to attach gizmos, that is different. Where do you want your weights? Will you ever wear it with a dry suit? I hated my first BCD a lot and was so glad it was stolen so I got one I really wanted. Take your time, there is no need to rush. And you don't have to spend a fortune to get what you like.

+1 for this approach. Three of us got certified at the same time. One buddy has never bought gear and always travels with carryon bags. He really doesn't care one way or the other about using rental gear. The other buddy bought top of the line gear immediately after getting certified. I don't think he has dove in over two, maybe three years. I have bought my gear over time and am mostly happy with it. My one regret was buying a computer directly after being certified. The one thing I can say is that it probably kept me from buying a more expensive computer until the Perdix came out. If you have money to burn, go for it. The buddy that bought all his gear had money to burn. I'm pretty sure he wishes he had some of that money back now.

I’ll second what people say and I’d rent until I know what I like.

Nothing is worse than buying a second time :)

But if you are sure of your choice, then go ahead and have fun !

Edit: a second hand Suunto Zoop is a very good starting computer as it is cheap, can do Nitrox and you can resell it for almost the same price

a second hand Suunto Zoop is a very good starting computer as it is cheap, can do Nitrox and you can resell it for almost the same price

Too bad I bought mine new. My one regret.

Back
Top Bottom