New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mazang

New
Reaction score
Hi new to diving only started if Feb this year
Anyone got any descending tips having difficulty with inital descent no problems when down thanks mazang

Welcome to ScubaBoard and congrats on getting certified.
What sort of problems are you having during descent?

Problem descending from surface 1st few feet not certified yet trying to achieve same

If you are not certified yet and still in class the best person to address the issue with is your instructor. Scubaboard is great, but can’t replace one-on-one conversations with someone who can see you in action and provide feedback.

Not certified yet? Are you in an Open Water class? Or just trying to do it all on your own? If you're not in a class, I'd highly recommend you get in one before you really attempt any further. First and foremost from a safety standpoint. But also so you start off learning properly and not creating bad habits from poor technique/lack of training. Is it rocket science? No, of course not. But still something you want to learn to do right from the first time rather than doing it wrong repeatedly and then having to unlearn poorly developed skills. I hope that makes sense.

As for your decent problems....more information is needed. Water type? Wetsuit? Thickness? Body mass? How much lead are you carrying? Aluminum tanks or steel? Not knowing any of that information, I'd assume your issue is one of two things. Either you're not breathing out enough to get yourself that first couple of feet below the surface or you're improperly weighted. And if I had to put money on it I'd say it's likely the latter, which just proves you need to be in an Open Water class.

Can't respond to OP's question with any specifics without knowing more. Is your issue with initial descent a problem with equalizing? Is it just that you are too bouyant until you get down a few feet? Agree that the best source of getting your issue addressed is to speak with your instructor. That is what he/she is there for. Good luck on your journey toward certification. The rewards are great! My 2psi. M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom