New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aiden dovenbarger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys. So I’m on my second week of scuba diving classes. After our final pool session next Friday we are doing our open water Saturday and Sunday. One at a pond and one at the beach. Our instructor said we will be going down 60 feet. Is that a good place to start at in open water? The pool we were in was 13 feet and I thought that was deep I’m just nervous is all.

You will not start at 60 ft. Your first two dives should be no deeper than 40 feet as you do skills and your instructor assesses your comfort and confidence. Open water dives 3 and 4 can go to 60 feet. If you remember from your reading 60 feet is the maximum depth that an OW diver is supposed to go, especially until you gain more experience and comfort diving.

Good luck and have fun.

As @loosenit2 pointed out, you'll start at something above 40 feet and dive 3 and 4 will be around 60 feet. If you are in reasonable shape you should be able to swim up (CESA) from 40 feet. When I was using rental gear I had all my gear fail, buddy wasn't staying close so I head for the surface with a mouth full of water. Did all the right things and was fine. I didn't panic and head for the surface. I actually took the time to access the situation, see if anyone was around to help me, try to get the guide's attention and THEN decide to head for the surface. You actually have plenty of time if you stay calm.

So long as you don't panic, it is all good. They set the depth limits for training and OW certified divers because you are new and it should fit with your training and experience at this point.

Being nervous is fine. As @Norwegian Cave Diver says "Relax. Listen. Learn. Enjoy."

I think your big worry right now is how much money you are going to spend on diving. haha.

Haha thank you guys! We’re only doing 2 open water dives so that’s why I’m confused cause most people like yourselves that I speak to mention dives 3 and 4. Our first open water will be in a pond then the next day the ocean. So I’m assuming the pond may be 40? I’ll have to ask my instructor. I had an issue with equalizing at the pool and had ear pain for a night, but it went away.

Haha thank you guys! We’re only doing 2 open water dives so that’s why I’m confused cause most people like yourselves that I speak to mention dives 3 and 4. Our first open water will be in a pond then the next day the ocean. So I’m assuming the pond may be 40? I’ll have to ask my instructor. I had an issue with equalizing at the pool and had ear pain for a night, but it went away.

who are you getting certified through? I don't know any agencies that only do 2 dives for OW certification, does not mean they aren't out there, but not common; or are you doing a Discover Scuba event?

Welcome to the rabbit hole, relax enjoy and pratice pratice pratice.

Send me a note once certified let's go diving.

You will be going through a lot of tasks, mate, before yr down to 60 feet. Practise yr mask removal as much as you can - that was my big downfall. There is a trick to it and its strap on after you cleared it - much easier . K

Bobs sea and ski in fairhaven MA

You may double check with your instructor. I looked that shop up and they are a SSI facility. SSI does 4 Open Water Dives. May be that you are doing 2 dives at the pond and then 2 dives the next day at the ocean. That is an excellent way to train BTW, getting exposed to multiple environments and conditions will help you feel more comfortable and confident as you progress. Enjoy your check out dives.

Back
Top Bottom