New Divers, 14 and 49, learning a lot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qnape

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone,

My daughter and I tried a Discover SCUBA experience in Jamaica with Dressel Divers along with another father / daughter, and we loved it so much we started making plans upon our return to get certified. What we discovered was a lot of great people and that we had a lot more to learn than what we read in our OW PADI manual.

First of all, I have to commend the folks at Dressel Divers; upon reflection after learning a bit more, they did the best they could to teach us enough to get by with a shallow reef dive or two. My daughter and I were fortunately very comfortable in the water and caught on quickly, but they spent more time with our companions who were a bit less sure of themselves on critical skills before heading us onto a boat. They had us all repeat the few skills they had time to teach several times. They were constantly checking on us to make sure we were OK.

We had the good luck to meet up with some great people at our local dive shop here in NJ, and chose the full certification course as opposed to the shorter "executive" course. We enjoyed the course and the pool work, and again felt very comfortable with our skills. Our instructor was extremely safety oriented, and we have come to respect him a great deal. He has gone beyond any expectations I could have had and has made quite an impression on us. On other threads I have read discussions on whether the instructor can make a difference - I know that this is true. Our DM during our course has also been great to us, has answered question after question and gone out of his way to help us out. He also happens to be a member here at scubaboard, and I thank him (again) for pointing us in your direction.

One of the most important things we have learned is how much we still do not know. I realized that as a new diver with a buddy who is newly certified and 14 years old (and needless to say, kinda important to me), I have considerations other divers may not have. I need to be that much more well prepared, that much more sure of myself, first because my buddy may need me, and second because I can't count on her as much as if I was with an experienced adult diver. I realized - hey - give me more training and practice before we hit the real open water; this despite the fact that we sailed readily through all the skills we had learned - our instructor called my daughter a "fish", lol.

We've picked up some gear, including computers. We have practiced since our certification dives at a quarry with another family we met during our OW check-out dives; when our instructor learned we were getting together to dive for practice he offered to accompany us. We made him a great BBQ lunch that day, and we all had some good dives and a great time.

We've signed up for the AOW course for next month, so we can learn more and practice (perhaps mainly just to get in the water again). We want to be as ready as we can be.

Our payoff comes in February '09 - we're heading to Cozumel. It will be our first dive trip, and we can't wait! We're looking to book 4 days of diving with a night dive for a 7 night stay, and want to work a specialty course into our dive schedule. We'll be well trained, enthusiastic, but lacking in experience - but ya gotta start somewhere.

In closing, I want to complement this online community. I've been lurking here for a month or two, reading a lot but had not yet introduced myself (ourselves?). You have scared me, reassured me, excited me, and made me hungry to learn more. I've learned a lot from reading the incident reports, equipment discussions, and of course the various threads on Cozumel in that section. You helped teach us what should be obvious to new divers but may not always be, that we still have a lot left to learn.

Glen & Christine :D

Welcome to SB and congrats on your certs. Sounds like you had a good LDS to learn from. It's great you have found another family to dive with and all I could tell you is keep diving... go as much as you can as your certs are only as good as how much time you've actually spent in the water diving and working on those skills. Best of luck to you.

Glen, welcome to SB and to your new cert. Maybe we'll meet up at Dutch Springs. I'm there every two weekends.
Steve

welcome aboard

My daughter (13) and I (44) just finished our OW class along with my fiance and her daughter (12). I've got the same concerns as you do. I'll do all I can to make sure we're both safe, and that includes planning some local dives (before our cruise, which goes to Gr Cayman, Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel) and furthering my dive ed. I've already scheduled my Advanced OW class and picked out my specialties. I originally got certified as a "Basic Scuba Diver" through PADI in 1979. I didn't have a regular dive partner, so I only went 8 times in about 25 yrs. The class was alot shorter (and easier) than it was then. I spent some time - more than my daughter wanted me to - telling her what my class was like "back in the day". She didn't have instructors swimming up behind her turning off her air. Didn't have to take all of her gear off at the bottom of the pool, surface, then dive back down and put it all back on again. I didn't have "the wheel" or the eRDP. Anyway, I digress....enjoy scuba with your daughter and stay safe.

Thanks to all for your warm welcome. I know that this board will continue to be a source of information and entertainment for us for some time to come.

Steve; It would be great to say hi at Dutch; we were there for our checkout dives in late July and for our recent practice dives on a weekday - what a great suggestion that was from our instructor as the place was nearly empty. We'll be there again for our AOW in October. I can see us finding our way there several times for more practice, although we can't wait to use our skills in warmer water.

njneer630; Yes, we have similar concerns, and it seems we are addressing them similarly as well. The more time we can get underwater the more confident we will be, and we want to be as familiar as possible with the use of our computers before depending on them in the open ocean. The more instruction we can get, once again the more confidence we will build. We're looking forward to the AOW, and have more practice planned for this coming weekend. We want to get wet as much as possible before the water in the Northeast gets too cold. One suggestion given to me that I might share is to get some pool time to practice skills just before our trip; We are going to Cozumel in February and do not want to get rusty between November and our travel. We plan to take advantage of the pool to make sure our gear (and we) is / are ready to go. Have you found SCUBA to be a great way to connect with your daughter? I certainly have, and am thrilled to have something to participate in with her directly. We have both learned a bit about each other, and have gained some respect for each other. Have a great, safe time, and enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom