New diver's ramp location at Lake Jocassee, reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d doubt that temp at 90ft. But I haven’t been there in a couple months. It’s usually in the mid 50’s.

I went diving off the boat ramp in mid June and ran a new line from the buoy anchor at the end of the ramp to the platform. We went back the next weekend and my buddy and I were following our line and it just ran into the ground and there was no platform. We looked at each other so confused “it was right here”.

We had managed to dive 10 dives over 2 weekends off the boat ramp without realizing it was “closed to divers”.
Oops.

I’d doubt that temp at 90ft. But I haven’t been there in a couple months. It’s usually in the mid 50’s.
Thanks for the check, looking at my wifes computer it shows 67F on that dive vs mine reading 70F at 96'. So at least a few degrees cooler that I thought, maybe more. At that point we stopped descending since the temp was starting to drop below our comfort range.

For that reason we kept todays dives at max 85' to avoid the cooler temps below 90'.

We had managed to dive 10 dives over 2 weekends off the boat ramp without realizing it was “closed to divers”.
Oops.
I've never seen a park ranger at the old ramp.

I've never seen a park ranger at the old ramp.

I did, the day of the switch-over.....he threatened to impound my car and scuba gear if I tried to dive off the ramp.

I think he had had a long long day......after I assured him that was not gong to dive off the ramp, I asked him if I could ask him a question re diving the forest, he said, "you can still dive the forest, but not from the [now motorized] ramp. He then said that they had run the rope from the new divers "area" almost to the now-motorized ramp to protect divers from the boat[ist]s.

Flag had nothing to do with it. He told me that if I dive from the ramp, my car and gear would be impounded.

"you can still dive the forest, but not from the [now motorized] ramp."

Meaning, from a boat?

No...but that's a good idea. I'm going to just surface swim to almost-at-the- ramp. After the weather becomes cooler (I'm in a drysuit with a double fleece and double tanks). Surface swim on your back is very pleasant. Its the obverse of my position underwater.

Dry suit with double tanks? Like this one? :)
36134818274_b0b342f741_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom