New Divers - You are NOT ALONE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been reading several threads (Mask Clearing Anxiety; Newbie issues. What is your dive problems stats?) this morning, started by new(er) divers (in training, and recently certified), and am struck by the strong sense of community which those threads evoked, which I have then used to title this thread.

Very few people go through Open Water scuba training and come out as perfectly formed divers. Frankly, I do not think it is possible, irrespective of whether the course is conducted over 2-3 weekends, or 6 weeks, or or an entire semester at a university. Open Water certification is only the beginning - the point where real learning can start. Very few people breeze through scuba training and have no issues or difficulties. You are not alone if you are struggling with a particular skill, or if you have anxiety about some aspect of diving, etc. In fact, you are probably in the majority. And, ScubaBoard is a great place to 'confess' and get unconditional help.

If you have just been 'lurking' on SB, and reading threads, but have been reluctant to share your issue(s), jump in. Ask questions, share concerns, and you may be amazed at how many other people a) have similar issues / concerns, and b) are willing to offer suggestions and ideas regarding what helped THEM overcome the problem.

As an Instructor, I benefit immensely from knowing what students and new divers are going through. Sometimes, students don't want to 'confess' in class, but are willing to do in the anonymity of the online world. But, I was also, at a time in the past, a student and a new diver, and I am both able to remember being in that situation, and willing to offer up what I did to try and overcome the problem. Every diver, including instructors / dive professional / whatever, is a new diver at some point.

I try to make my students (and other divers) aware of ScubaBoard, beginning with OW classes. (I was doing that long before I became 'staff member', so I don't do it just for some sort of self-serving benefit.) I am frankly surprised at how many dive instructors do not. When I mention to some (certainly not all, but some) fellow instructors, or when I talk with some shop owners and staff (certainly not all, but some), that I read something particularly interesting on SB, or that a particular thread topic really captured my attention, I am impressed that more than a few respond with, 'Oh, I never go there, and I tell my students not to - too much politics and nonsense!' Or, 'I try to steer customers away from things like ScubaBoard, too much bad information!' Huh? If you don't want 'politics',you certainly must not read newspapers, or listen to radio, or watch television news, etc. By those media standards, SB is remarkably apolitical. Bad information? Sure, there are some posts on SB that don't quite measure up to the standard of 'value-added' (and, maybe, this one of those for that matter). But, bad information is everywhere. And, there is a lot of personal, first-hand experience available among SB users that allows for sharing of some good information.

So, new divers, prospective divers, divers-in training: take advantage of the wealth of experience and information on SB. Tell your friends, your fellow students, other newbies that you know, your dive buddies, etc,. about SB. Because, if you have issues or concerns as a newer diver, the chances are someone else does as well. You are NOT ALONE.

Last edited:
...//...or when I talk with some shop owners and staff (certainly not all, but some), that I read something particularly interesting on SB, or that a particular thread topic really captured my attention, I am impressed that more than a few respond with, 'Oh, I never go there, ...//...
Great thread.

I would love to know what percentage of the lurker population is made up of dive professionals. From my experience, most of those who "never come here" are quite aware of what is being discussed. :wink:

This is one of the few forums on ScubaBoard that I visit regularly ... out of a desire to share what I've learned with newer divers. I'm retired now as an instructor, but still spend a great deal of my time mentoring the newly-certified, both online and in the water. It helps me keep diving in perspective, and helps prevent me from taking things I've seen and done over and over for granted. Making the time and effort to help newly-certified divers gain knowledge and skills is a mutually beneficial experience, and I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments of the OP in encouraging new divers, and divers-in-training, to speak up and ask questions. We all gain something from it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As I stated in another thread this week. I am a new diver, I spent nearly 6 months reading SB before getting certified, and I PROMISE you, I am a better diver because of it.

Good advice, 1st hand knowledge, decades of experience, unbiased/non-judgemental answers/opinions/advice (for the most part).

I like not feeling alone, and am comfortable in knowing I am not the first person to have a particular problem or question and there are dozens of people ready, willing, and able to help me here.

Egos, politics, 'point of view warriors,' bad info., etc..., are products of the human condition, and to be found wherever significant numbers of people come together. With a large community like Scuba Board, where discussions are posted openly in plain sight of all, bad advice and opinionated assertions are more likely to get challenged (where appropriate) by contrary viewpoints, leading to back-and-forth discussion so people can judge for themselves. So even the 'fights' can have value.

Scuba Board also has value as a research tool to get info. on destinations, dive op.s, etc..., from people who aren't selling group trips there, and a number of people (with different perspectives) so you don't just go by the report of one 'fan boy' on a particularly good week.

It doesn't have to be either/or. Scuba Board is not exclusive.

Richard.

Great post!

Great post, I find scubaboard great for getting advice and guidance from divers of all levels. I have been paying particular attention to the New Diver forum as I move towards becoming an instructor. Reading what new divers have for concerns or hurdles in becoming divers and taking training, will help make me more aware of what students are enduring when learning, or what areas may be a struggle and need extra focus.

... Very few people go through Open Water scuba training and come out as perfectly formed divers. Frankly, I do not think it is possible, irrespective of whether the course is conducted over 2-3 weekends, or 6 weeks, or or an entire semester at a university...

Good post, but I am still not a fully formed diver. There is always a lot to learn.

ScubaBoard has some warts, to be sure, but it is an incredible source of information overall. Anything you need to know, you can find out here, from people with years/decades of experience, with just a few keystrokes. There's no reason to ever quietly wonder about anything, staying stuck by yourself. You'll get answers here--good ones--within hours at most, if not minutes. Some answers will be debatable, but you'll get to see the whole debate, and you'll learn a lot from seeing the various perspectives.

Like the old time miners panning for gold, I think SB is a great source for obtaining helpful/useful nuggets of information about diving/gear/destinations/mis-steps, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom