New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not trying to be dense here, but is one better than the other for this application? Because they seem to cost the same.

The higher capacity branded packs, 9ah and 12ah, are only available as flexvolt. So the choice is really about how much capacity you want. The scooter itself doesn't care.

It does appear that the 6ah is available as both a flex and standard for about the same price. I haven't tested a flex 6. Personally I would probably buy 5’s before a 6 as that 1ah doesn't seem worth the price jump.

Choose the capacity that you think will give you what you want - if that is 9ah or greater then choice is clear - right now that will be flexvolt. If you're comparing 6ah XR vs 6ah flexvolt at the same price then I'd go for the XR. Smaller, lighter more room to adjust for buoyancy / trim.

Word is the newer 6ah XR is built with newer cells (21700) which have better cycle life.

Word is the newer 6ah XR is built with newer cells (21700) which have better cycle life.

It is, it gives the pack an odd form factor, unique amongst all the packs. Its not a new design though, and appears to have been passed over with all the flexvolt stuff.

Quarry wasn't frozen over yet so I got mine wet yesterday
Coldish. -2C / -9 deg C (15 deg F) windchill, water temp: 3 deg C ( 37 deg F)

Out of the box…
- Seems tougher than it looks - well moulded / machined material, quality feel and finish
- Trigger feels great
- Nose cone heavy/robust
- Light and very easy to carry, even w/ dry gloves
- Easy to load batteries (using 2x 12ah dewalt DCB612)

In the water - 42min dive to 80ft, fresh water…
- No fuss, it just worked
- Good thrust - pulled me (210lbs+) around effortlessly in my drysuit and sidemount rig
- Default cruising speed “3” was quick, “6” and above and you were really travelling
- Even “1” was too fast to keep pace with other divers who were not scootering
- Switching gears took a little getting used to
- REALLY nice to have an integrated battery / speed display
- Speed migrate works well
- Batteries performed well in the cold, more than 75% after the dive - DPV still showed 4 bars (full), meters on batteries read 3 bars (full). ie w/ the 12’s battery life will not be an issue for me
- DPV as configured out of the box w/ 12ah (dcb612) batteries was slightly negatively buoyant (I’d guess ~ half lb or less) and settles tail down

This is going to work well for my kind of diving - getting to/from objective (wreck etc) ~ 1hr, not much current etc.
Will see what other battery options mean for buoyancy / trim at some point.
Overall extremely pleased.

It is, it gives the pack an odd form factor, unique amongst all the packs. Its not a new design though, and appears to have been passed over with all the flexvolt stuff.
A little OT here @ben.mcgeever but with DeWalt now appearing to pivot to 20700/21700 cells, will those packs still fit into the Piranha PTB?

I doubt that the writing is on the wall for 18650 just yet but with Tesla moving to the bigger cells, one assumes that the industries thriving on the back of that will be forced to move too.

Has anyone used the Zeagle crotch strap with a Stiletto? It apparently attaches to the back of the BCD in the middle bottom, comes between the legs, and has a DPV ring in front. It seems like that would work for attaching a DPV, but then it would pull the strap into tender parts. Am I missing something, or is a climbing type harness going to need to be the way rec divers use this scooter?

A little OT here @ben.mcgeever but with DeWalt now appearing to pivot to 20700/21700 cells, will those packs still fit into the Piranha PTB?

I doubt that the writing is on the wall for 18650 just yet but with Tesla moving to the bigger cells, one assumes that the industries thriving on the back of that will be forced to move too.

All the packs currently available fit in the Blacktip, and their is a bit of extra room for the future.

I just watched this video . Im guessing all the flexvolt have the bigger cells.

Does anyone have any feedback on using the Waitley 9AH batteries that are available on Amazon?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom