New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the batteries (DeWalt) are not in the scooter and unused, can they discharge to the point where you can't get them recharged? Or is that just if you leave them in the scooter?

I have the batteries and charger but no scooter, and unsure when it will come. I guess they are backordered and that could mean anything at this point. I charged the batteries but I am wondering when I need to check / recharge them if they are just sitting in a drawer for 6 mos.

The self discharge rate is very low on lithium-ion batteries and they store best at about half charge, since that is where the battery chemistry is most stable. Check the battery and if it's at 50% or above, just leave it on the shelf. However, you should check it every few months during storage to ensure it doesn't fall below about 20%.

----

In terms of general use, the battery cut off in the BlackTips electronics cuts off the battery when it has about 20% or one bar remaining. That's a good thing as it will allow for a longer battery life in terms of total charge/discharge cycles - about 50% more. If you are actively using your batteries, recharging when they drop below about 50% will further increase the useful life of the battery. Deep discharges and high levels of heat are not kinds to batteries.

-----

When I placed an order to re-stock, I assumed the back order time was short - on the order of a week or two. That hasn't been the case, and I'm thinking it's going to be a lot longer.

I guess they are backordered and that could mean anything at this point.

I was near the top of backorder list and just received a shipping notice this afternoon. The shipment should arrive on Wednesday the 25th.

So...depending where you are on the list, yours could be coming soon as well.

I do know they plan to catch up on back orders as soon as possible and it looks like COVID-19 isn't slowing them down too much.

Pulled the trigger on a Blacktip. I don't wanna peruse this thread for the answer, so I'll ask: anyone have a best bang for the buck recommendation on batteries and charger?

Pulled the trigger on a Blacktip. I don't wanna peruse this thread for the answer, so I'll ask: anyone have a best bang for the buck recommendation on batteries and charger?

Best bang for the buck? Waitley 9Ah batteries.

Not sure about a charger.

I lost my bang for the buck somewhere. I just went for "best". I got a pair of the DeWalt 12Ah batteries and the DeWalt 4-port charger (so I'll be ready, later, when I get 2 more of the 12Ah batteries). :)

My only time out with the scooter so far, I was with a buddy that was using the Waitley 9Ah batteries. The end of our second dive involved me towing him back to the dock.

Then I went for a 3rd dive (another 40 minutes or so), got out, and still had 2 bars showing on my battery meter.

But, I think you CAN get 4 of those Waitley 9Ah batteries for about the same price as just 1 of the DeWalt 12s...

Not sure about a charger.

I got the Powilling 4 port charger, $106 shipped on Amazon. Nothing to compare it to, but it does charge the batteries.

I found a two-port charger (with good reviews) for $46.00 on Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom