New dry suit, got some questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been diving since ‘71, I have heard negative things about every change that has come along, like B/C’s, computers etc. brass zippers are so easy to damage that I wanted to try the more flexible tizip.

The cost of the extra protection is low but I’ve just not seen the need, I don’t baby my gear.
I didn’t spec the extra room for thick insulation and have plenty of room to stay warm here in the Monterey Bay.

What types/levels of thermals do you dive? I’m moving to Monterey Bay in a few months.

The date is getting closer!
So now I’m looking at P-valves, trying to decide between the Light Monkey Tinkle and Halcyon. I was first sold on the halcyon based off some forums, but those forums were comparing the balanced LM to the halcyon, not the newer tinkle valve. More reviews of just the LM tinkle makes it sound pretty darn good, and for a slightly less cost it sounds even more appealing. Would most of you all agree with this?

James...

Sounds like you've done some research...you're on the right track...

I own a DUI...CF-200 Signature suit...I like the comfort of neoprene over a ''bag'' suit...

I also prefer soft feet as it allows you to completely turn the suit inside-out for proper cleaning and drying...I'm of the belief that no piece of dive gear should smell like a ''mushroom farm''...

Avoid ''bulk''...creases trap air...restrict range of motion...and bite you...if there's enough room in your suit for you and two small elephants...look at something else...E-Bay is overloaded with bad suit choices...

Kevlar knees...and duel ''zipper top'' cargo pockets have also been a preferred choice...

In my opinion front zipper/self donning should be your only consideration...

My suit has a DUI pee valve which I've blinded off...I go before...doff the suit on the boat if needed...I have some concern with urinary tract infection...

Seals are a personal thing...I like neoprene...both neck and wrists...comfortable...warm...very durable...

My undergarment choice is T-MAX HEAT base layer...with thermal knit cotton ''over-base''...and T-MAX HEAT socks...

I don't wear ''dry-gloves''...I prefer 5 mm Waterproof G1...with a zippered gauntlet...I've heard so many divers say...I have a great dry-glove system...but I had to butcher my wrist seals to make the system work...

If you really prefer dry-gloves...I have used ScubaPro Easy-Don...if you don't mind the large collar ring...they seal well...come complete with inner gloves...do not require suit wrist seal modification...and by comparison...are not expensive...

Here in Ontario...Great Lakes water temperature is only a few degrees above freezing below the thermocline in July...my combination works great...gives me full range of motion...and keeps me nice and warm...

Shop carefully...there are many pit-falls...and many common mistakes made when purchasing a dry-suit...

Dive Safe...

Warren

With you on this. My OThree drysuit is crushed neoprene with neoprene neck and wrist seals. Solid as a rock and performs in the worst of conditions.

Also agree with your assessment of the Waterproof G1 gloves. I used the same pair on a Tec instructor course over the last 3 days and 6 dives and my hands were fine. Air temp was -2 and water temp between 6-7°c. Also love the Waterproof hood.

With you on this. My OThree drysuit is crushed neoprene with neoprene neck and wrist seals. Solid as a rock and performs in the worst of conditions.

Also agree with your assessment of the Waterproof G1 gloves. I used the same pair on a Tec instructor course over the last 3 days and 6 dives and my hands were fine. Air temp was -2 and water temp between 6-7°c. Also love the Waterproof hood.

Hi Graeme...

I have the Waterproof H1 7 mm hood...the extended neck fits snugly over the DUI neoprene neck seal and is long enough to stay tucked under the neoprene ''warm collar''...

On a dive boat...the last item(s) I put on before getting up off the bench is my gloves...there's no fiddling with dry seals...and if a final kit adjustment is needed...they come off easy...you can make your adjustment...re-don the gloves...a quick zip...and you're good to go...

Especially with your tec task loading...''final adjustments'' are sometimes easier with gloves off...

How's the diving in Narnia...the coastal waters off Brigadoon is pretty fantastic...big sea dragons...not those little 50 footers...

Best...

Warren

Hi Graeme...

I have the Waterproof H1 7 mm hood...the extended neck fits snugly over the DUI neoprene neck seal and is long enough to stay tucked under the neoprene ''warm collar''...

On a dive boat...the last item(s) I put on before getting up off the bench is my gloves...there's no fiddling with dry seals...and if a final kit adjustment is needed...they come off easy...you can make your adjustment...re-don the gloves...a quick zip...and you're good to go...

Especially with your tec task loading...''final adjustments'' are sometimes easier with gloves off...

How's the diving in Narnia...the coastal waters off Brigadoon is pretty fantastic...big sea dragons...not those little 50 footers...

Best...

Warren

Exactly! My regular buddy just got Kubi drygloves fitted but I can't be bothered with the faff. Funnily enough, his hands were colder after our last dive than mine. Gave me a nice warm feeling (although maybe that was me forgetting to plumb in my P valve).

Brigadoon's not bad if you don't mind only one dive every 100yrs!

Exactly! My regular buddy just got Kubi drygloves fitted but I can't be bothered with the faff. Funnily enough, his hands were colder after our last dive than mine. Gave me a nice warm feeling (although maybe that was me forgetting to plumb in my P valve).

Brigadoon's not bad if you don't mind only one dive every 100yrs!

Graeme...

I just completed my second Brigadoon dive last month...looking forward to the third...I think I'll be a little too crotchety to do the fourth...by then I may have to start diving in the Fountain Of Youth...

Best...

Warren

Folks...

There are probably more forums with more posts on dry suits than just about any other single piece of dive gear...

There are as many dry suit options/variations as there are bad decisions and bad choices...

It was a long journey from my first dry suit to my current suit...

I'll be the first to admit...when I purchased my first dry-suit...I thought I knew what I wanted...but had no idea what I needed or what options were must haves and what variants were ''stay away from''...I had little to no idea how important proper sizing was...

I assumed...from seeing others...that air naturally gets trapped in a dry suit...and therefore you need 40 pounds of ballast to sink it...

A properly fitting dry suit...maybe with the exception of a super heavy duty work suit should require no more ballast than a properly fitting 7 mm wet suit...my 7/8 mm BARE hooded semi-dry is slightly more buoyant than my ''in the water'' DUI CF 200 system...no ballast at all with 100 cu ft HP steel doubles...24 pounds with SCR...diving with an AL 50 and an AL 20...(attached photo)

I also assumed that being tall...if a large suit was too short...then I needed an XL...not realizing that while the XL solved the height problem...the suit was actually designed to fit a diver 50 pounds heavier than me...added bulk...huge air trapping problem...again because the LDS owner said the suit was ''fine'' I walked out of the shop leaving $3000 in the till...knowing in my mind something was wrong but not knowing what...I realized the ''what'' the first time I wore the suit...

A dry suit is a big ticket item...especially when all the accessories are added into the sale...and far too often the shop is more concerned about filling the till than they are concerned that the dry suit is the correct suit for the purchaser...they'll be happy to sell you lots of lead to sink the suit after...

Speaking only for myself...if a manufacturer does not offer a ''large tall'' option...either off the rack or custom tailored...I need not look any further...

Other items (long list) are personal preferences...

Be knowledgeable going in...ask all the questions...if you don't wear an XL shirt...or an XL sweater...why would you buy an XL dry suit...if you feel something is wrong during the sale...but not sure what it is and you're not getting a straight answer...your gut feeling is probably right...and you best option is to walk...there are ''no friends'' in retail...

Best...

Warren

Screenshot (16).png

The date is getting closer!
So now I’m looking at P-valves, trying to decide between the Light Monkey Tinkle and Halcyon. I was first sold on the halcyon based off some forums, but those forums were comparing the balanced LM to the halcyon, not the newer tinkle valve. More reviews of just the LM tinkle makes it sound pretty darn good, and for a slightly less cost it sounds even more appealing. Would most of you all agree with this?

Why not the Si Tech Trigon? I think they are newer, so not many reviews. But, they are very low profile. And, nothing to open or close when you want to use it.

I got one on my Seaskin, but I have not actually used it (the pee valve) yet. So, all I can say for sure is that it has not yet let any water into my suit. And that's with the end of the tube on the inside of my suit having no plug in it at all. I'm going to use it for the first time in about 10 days. I have 3 days of offshore drysuit diving planned, so I finally decided it was time. Got a supply of condom catheters in yesterday. And a QD setup from McMaster-Carr last week - though that was not strictly necessary as the Trigon came with a nice fitting with an On/Off lever - it's just not a quick detach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom