• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

New dry suit, got some questions...

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by James Sizemore, Nov 28, 2018.

1. James Sizemore

James Sizemore Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I ended up getting the LM tinkle valve based off of reviews, and parts availability, and cost. I couldn’t quite justify the halcyon at this point. It came with the quick disconnect and the disconnect seals when disconnected. This means that I’ll have to get the disconnect and a squeeze bottle to flush things out.

My suit shipped last week and should be arriving to my house in the next couple days....my 50deg pool is going to be my first dive in it on the weekend.

2. James Sizemore

Pool dive went great. Amazingly comfortable. Practiced some somersaults and some other exercises. It was warmer then 50 though, a relaxing 56 today!

So I’ve run into an issue though, the plastic zip is a tizip and comes with its own lubricant which appears to be Silicon based. Seaskin specifically mentions to keep silicon away from use on the dry suit because it can cause propbles with repairs and adhesives not bonding properly. So is the provided zipper lubricant really the best thing to use? Should I buy some wax and use that on the zip instead of the silicon? I’m just very hesitant to use something clearly hazardous to the suit near the area that will need repair at some point in the suits life....

3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wax is for metal zippers.

4. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    James...

I have a suit with a Master T-Zip...the lubricant which is included is for the docking link only...helps to provide a water tight seal at the end...and to prevent wear of the docking link...

Keep your zipper clean...inspect after each dive...other than lubricating the docking link with the provided lubricant...the zipper itself should need no lubricant...

Hope the helps...

Warren

5. boat sju

boat sju Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  6. MacLir

MacLir Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi James Sizemore:

Do I understand correctly that you ordered a YKK zipper, but Seaskin provided a T-zip instead? If so (and casting no aspersions on T-zips), that would still be a bit concerning from the perspective of being able to rely on getting what a person actually orders....

Thanks
    Maclir

7. James Sizemore

You've brought up a good point Maclir, their website does list a YKK as the option and no listing for Tizip and all of the invoices say YKK. So I wonder why they have listed one manufacturer and install the other? Possibly just they they are a small company and have not updated their website.

Warren, thank you for the insight about the zipper. That makes me feel better about exposing the smallest amount of my suit to silicon.

MacLir likes this.
  8. lexvil

lexvil Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Are you sure it’s not a plastic YKK?