New Drysuit... New Fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve just been measured for a new dry suit and the new boots are too big for my current fins.

Has anyone had experience with both the Apeks RK3 HD and Scubapro Jet Fins?

I’ve always dived with a really old pair of US Divers Rocket Fins which are as stiff as a board, but I’m used to them, which of the fins above are stiffer?

Cheers!

Jets.

I would strongly suggest that you at least have a look at the Hollis F1 fins, too.

jetfins are a bit stiffer than the rk3s and f1s, f1 has a longer blade than the rk3/jets. foot pocket comfort might be a smidge better for the f1s and rk3s. i passed on buying the rk3 hd. usually dive f1s with jetfins as backup.

turtles are the jetfin alternative if you have wider than normal feet.

I haven’t used them in several years, but had Turtle Fins for a while, about 15 years ago and they were a lot like not having fins on. I then used the US Divers Rocket 2 fins for a while, and then switched to the XXL Jet fins in 2012 and have been using the Jets since. The Jets are the stiffest of the fins I’ve tried.

Awesome, probably worth me trying on a pair of Jet Fins with my drysuit then!

I tried a pair of RK3 HDs on when I was getting measured so I know I need a large in those (in UK9 boots), how do the foot pockets compare in Jetfins?

Skip the RK3’s, they’re super floppy. I don’t have experience with the HD’s.

I wear Hollis F1’s or OMS Slipstreams depending.

Also, if you really want a STIFF feel, check out the Dive Rite XT fins. Those are TOO stiff for me. But, with your drysuit, you'll probably want a fin that is more negative than the XT (like the F1). The F1s are pretty negative, but I have not weighed them in the water to compare against Jets. The F1 fins don't feel as stiff as the XTs, but they feel more stiff than the RK3 fins do (to me). And the F1s are really excellent overall - for propulsion and for technical work.

I have F1 (size XL, 2# negative, in fresh water) for diving dry, where I need the extra "weight" on my feet.

I have the F1 LT (size Regular, 1# negative in fresh water) for single tank diving.

I have the Deep6 Eddy fins (size L, 0.2# negative, approximately, in fresh water) for diving in sidemount.

Each set works really well and gives me the right buoyancy that I need to have good, flat trim without sculling in each of those rig configurations.

In terms of performance both are very similar. With my drysuit I favor the Jet fins because they are a bit stiffer than the RK3. I've had drysuit students try out each one and found it to be about a 45/55 split in favor of the Jet fin.

The RK3 and Rocket Fins do have one nice feature for those who want arch support. The foot pock comes out a little bit more on the bottom relieving some of the strain, that a couple of people noticed, on the arch.

Nevertheless, both are nice fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom