New fins for me - Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the OMS Slipstream Fins, looks like a Jetfin, kicks like a Jetfin, and is light enough to work fine without a drysuit.
Disadvantage: if left out in the hot sun, they, as most other plastic fins, will warp.

Michael

Love my recons. Haven't dove the others, so my opinion isn't actually valid. About all I can say that would be valid is they're heavy, but I'm used to heavy fins. (Used to dive ProMate Cyclones at about 3# each.) Great for frog, great for flutter....haven't tried helicopter or back-kicks with them yet.

What I can say is if you have the option to "try before you buy" do just that.

I used to dive scuba pro seawings. I really liked them. They gave good power, great control and are easy to swim backwards with. Being an underwater photographer, these qualities are really nice.

I have large feet.... size 13. For some bizarre reason, size13 fins tend to be enormous. I am also a very strong swimmer. Photographers often find a subject and take photos. You have to keep a weather eye out for the group as it moves on. So you swim fast to catch up. My seawings gave out under the repeated stress.

So I bought the gorilla version of the fin which is considerably beefed up. But I was on a dive in Cozumel. An emergency require heavy finning and I destroyed the gorillas.

So I got the force fin pro. It has a learning curve. You have to change your kicking style. But the fins give superb control and great power. They are also surprisingly compact. It is easy to loop them on my wrist and climb up the ladder on a boat dive. I never hand them up.

The scuba pro fins are great fins for most people. Both the scuba pro fins and force fins are quite distinctive. People will not mistake them for their gear. And you can often find your buddy at distance by the fin shape. My wife dives scuba pro and moves off whilst I am shooting photos. Even in a group at distance, I can find her by fin shape.

I know you’re trying to get away from split fins but have you checked out the Apollo bio pro fins?

You should start working on your frog and associated kicks sooner rather than later. The Eddy fins will be perfect for this. You don't want to be flutter kicking inside those wrecks and being able to position yourself without waving your hands around will be useful too.
But modified flutter kicks are useful in tight spaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom