new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasam35

Reaction score
Hi all I am looking into a new set of fins and was wondering if anyone has a set of Force Fins and how they like them. I have read a lot about the new split fins but am not sold on them quite yet. I have a strong kick and I am not sure the split fins would be right for me. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, sam

Hello Sam, I too have a pretty strong kick, and that makes split fins and force fins seem odd for me. Though other experienced divers, tell me that they can adjust to the different kicking style that you have to use with those fins. It's really a matter of personal preferance, and what is right for the individual diver. I would suggest you try a few different types of fins and see what's right for you. Here in Southern California where there is a lot of surge and current, I'm quite content with my SeaQuest IDEA 3's.

Mario, what do you think of your fins ??
I have made my purchase of fins, mask etc but I wont get to try them until next weekend for my OW course.
The main reason I purchased them is because my instructor uses them and thinks they are great :D

They are supposed to give a fair bit of push and I know they are quite comfortable.

Mick

Mick, they are very comfortable for me. Though I have to admit, I did feel them after my first use of them. Having said that, I also get in more of a workout that the average diver as well. A typical day teaching in San Diego, we make 4 beach dives (2 seperate classes) through surf, many times having to tow people. The current is strong at times, and can change direction during the very lengthy surface intervals (they can last 20minutes, just to get to 25ft of depth). A La Jolla Shores beach dive can wear you out rather nicely... I've had to do 7 in one day there... not a whole lotta fun! It was a full day of physical exertion, needless to say I didn't dive again the next day.

I have yet to find anything better than my Scuba Pro Jet Fins. Yes, the design is older than dirt, yes, they are less expensive than most of the tupperware fins, and yes, they will never, never wear out. I tried some split fins (I think bio fins), but I really didn't like the flutter that came with the split. I was told that if I had slowed my kick, the flutter would have quit and I would have moved just as fast. I didn't get the chance to really test them, just try them out for a single dive. I don't even like the looks of Force Fins. I've been told that they are good for people that have a bicycle kick. If you have a bicycle kick, I think fixing your kick would be cheaper and you would be a better diver. Anyway, for $100, you can get a set of Jets and you will never be sorry. My $.02

After owning (and using) Mares Avantis and Force Fins before buying SP split fins, I've found the SPs to be much better, less fatiguing, and faster. In current, surge, waves, etc. the other fin styles don't come close. I am interested, Mario, though, in what "new kick" is required to use them. Since they are a bit wider, mine sometimes touch each other on the stroke, but I haven't seen a need for a new kicking technique.

I use Jet Fins too! I think they are great. I've tried the Scubapro twin jets, Sure is a different feeling than the jets. Feels like you don't have any fins on at all. Not for me!

Sorry to throw a spanner into the works scubasam but scubapro have just brought out the new "twin-speed" fins, i put the url on a new thread i started. I must say if they perform as well as they look then i will definately be getting some myself. They look simerlar to the stomic split fins although much better looking style wise.

I have to go with the Older than dirt Jet fins (or Turtel Fins for the larger footed divers out there). I mostly use the frog and modified flutter and these work great for that. I have heard that the split fins don't work so great when using the frog kick, but that is just what I heard.

Take Care,
Eric

I have two sets of fins, Scubapro twin jet and TUSA Plantina. I like both pairs, but I prefer to dive with the scubapro twin jet. I really like the effortless kicking and I feel I get great propulsion. My dive buddy always telling me to slow down. I find them easy in current, surf, etc. Sometime the Plantinas can be too stiff and I do get fatigued some using them.

Back
Top Bottom