New fish..don't have a clue ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This one is tiny.. really, really small.. not sure if it is a baby or and adult.. less than 1/2 inch long..

Off Destin in 55 ft of water:

fish300.jpg

It looks like a juvenile Freckled Soapfish Rypticus bistripinus

Are there any pictures of the juvenile. While they may get that far north, have not seen any freckled Soapfish... but then I have also not seen one of these before.

Thanks

I was trying to find some pictures today, I still have a few more places to look. The body and fin shape looks like a soapfish and the adult can be nearly bicolored. I will continue to try and find a pic though.

I was trying to find some pictures today, I still have a few more places to look. The body and fin shape looks like a soapfish and the adult can be nearly bicolored. I will continue to try and find a pic though.

The body shape sure looks correct, I have seen juvenile standard soap fish.. we have millions of them. just nothing with this color pattern.. thanks.

A couple of the little soapfishes have these brightly-colored juveniles- Rypticus subbifrenatus and R. bistrispinus. they get spotted as they get bigger.

ben
coralreeffish.com

A couple of the little soapfishes have these brightly-colored juveniles- Rypticus subbifrenatus and R. bistrispinus. they get spotted as they get bigger.

ben
coralreeffish.com

We only have one species of soap fish here (that I have ever seen).. and as they happen to like me (I know that says something bad about me.. just not sure what).. I am usually surrounded by them... I had assumed they were the greater soap fish...

soapfish1.jpg

Which is Rypticus saponaceus.. just cannot find any pictures of them as young..

Your adult soapfish: Whitespotted - Rypticus maculatus

Other tropical Atlantic/Caribbean soapfish are:
Greater - R. saponaceus
Freckled - R. bistrispinus
Spotted - R. subbifrenatus
Largespotted - R. macrostigmus

Your adult soapfish: Whitespotted - Rypticus maculatus

Other tropical Atlantic/Caribbean soapfish are:
Greater - R. saponaceus
Freckled - R. bistrispinus
Spotted - R. subbifrenatus
Largespotted - R. macrostigmus

Thanks.. would never have gotten that from this picture on the web:

tn_Rymac_u0.jpg

So that would then also ID the little guy...which I cannot find a picture of. Which is interesting, as that image does resemble the young...wonder if that is an intermediary one (which we also don't see here?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom