New Florida Shipwreck Discovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckdiver1715

Registered
Reaction score
A new shipwreck has been discovered by the folks at Amelia Research and there distinctive recovery vessel the Polly-L.
The wreck lies in what appears to be the northern end of one of the Fisher Organizations Exploration leases about 1000 feet off Spessard Holland Park in about forty feet of water, just south of Melbourne Beach in Brevard County Florida.
They believe that the wreck is a 17th or 18th Century ship based on some of the artifacts that were recovered late last week. Those artifacts include a gun, sword, pieces of ceramic and pewter, to include a large pewter platter with a small plate as a cover in the center, believed to be used for communions. Also recovered were one cannon, and a cannon ball.
It’s too early to determine if this wreck is one of the five missing ships of the famed 1715 fleet, but I will bet they are hoping that it is.

Q

That would be friggin awesome to come upon a wreck like this. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been watching the boats out there the last few weeks...look like he's using a dredge...lotsa sand to go thru there!

Guess thats the farthest north of 1715 Plate wrecks so far! May7by the queens dowery will finally be found!

Joe

Wow! Would love to hear more about the site. But, would definitely love to dive such a site. Is the site divable?

Thanks...

Katzdiver:
Wow! Would love to hear more about the site. But, would definitely love to dive such a site. Is the site divable?

I will 2nd that!! And I would like to know what the distance is from the other Spanish ships of the fleet from the 1700's 1800's Thanks

Katzdiver:

Thanks...

Not sure who has this site leased or claimed, but you can go pay Mel Fishers heirs a fee to dive on established sites that they hold the rights to. You can find more info on their site http://www.melfisher.com/investor/go/trip.asp

My buddy is a diver on the ship that discovered the wreck. I'm not sure what he would want me telling everyone, so I won't say much, except that they are working on the area where they hope holds the $$$.

BTW- He says the Polly-l didn't find it, they just showed up after his boat found it to take all the credit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom