New Fossil Boat Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COWSskateGOOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey guys, been a member here for years. Always wanted to buy a boat and set up a small charter out of the Venice Florida area.... finally got everything set up about 5 months ago, and then blew up my motor and required a complete rebuild. :( I am back up and running and ready to find what Irma's churned up, I have done a few charters since the storm but would love to take some people out and find some fossils..... message me here or visit my FB or website for details.

www.xplorefl.com

Sounds great, good luck! I'll be in Venice later this week, but am diving solo unfortunately. If you have anyone else wanting to go out Thursday 9/28 afternoon, or after 2pm Friday, I'd love to sign on as well! Otherwise, I'll check out the charter next time!

I will be at my primary job tomorrow (Fire Department) and Friday is spoken for.... absolutely keep me in mind next time you are available. Would love to take you out....I have some solo diver friends that are willing to go on short notice if you ever need a buddy.

Checked our your web site, and while I don't want to be critical there is not a lot of info there about your operation. So I have some questions. First, are you a dive professional? If so what is your level of certification and by which agency do you hold certification. Second,does your operation comply with USCG 01-12? Third, it sounds like you are a one man operation. If you do have crew members, are they dive professionals as well and what are their level of professional certification and by what certification agency. Last,what emergency equipment do you carry on board, and are all crew members trained on it all?
Sorry, but these are questions/items of info I need before I would book with you or any other dive operation. Hate to say it, but at fist glance it appears that that you are a just a guy with a boat, or at least that is what it seems. If I am wrong let us know.

Captain Dan,

I appreciate the questions, as I know you are a local captain as well I will say: I do not run a large vessel like your respectful operation. I am a full time Firefighter/Paramedic by trade and, I am not a certified dive professional (Advanced, Nitrox, Public Safety Diver) and I am truly just a guy with a boat, captains license, and commercial insurance who offers to take people out for boat tours, sunset cruises, and will take people to dive spots. I do not instruct nor lead any dive activities, my primary customers are people who want transportation to and from their dive spots. I do comply with the recommendations of USCG 01-12 which I fall into "dive site transit services." I do not have crew members, and I have all of the USCG mandated safety items required of an OUPV, I do not have oxygen at this particular point (picking it up this week) but being an EMS trained individual know the importance of having it and as you read am building my very small business. I am similar to other small operators in the area who offer similar services, if there is anything I missed or any further critiquing or help you are willing to provide please feel free to PM me, I would love any insight you are willing to offer.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I now better understand your operation. I would only offer that you include some of this information on your web site, and make it clear that you are providing dive site transit service, and not a true dive operation. Some divers might not understand the difference leading to unmet expectations. Good luck.

Just as an update I am still around catering to smaller groups in a private setting. Took a couple customers out this month and have been having luck on teeth but you know how that goes can be hit or miss. Little background on me I am a Firefighter Paramedic serving as a boat captain on the waters responsible for water rescues, medical evacuations of our barrier islands, and work as a rescue diver... On my off days I love to share my passion in an intimate setting on my boat. Let me know if anyone is interested www.xplorefl.com

Have you made friends with Captains Jamie and Mike yet? I do believe those guys can be a bit territorial...

Thanks for the reply, I now better understand your operation. I would only offer that you include some of this information on your web site, and make it clear that you are providing dive site transit service, and not a true dive operation. Some divers might not understand the difference leading to unmet expectations. Good luck.
For what it's worth, I believe this is the "normal" dive operation for the boneyard area where he is offering dives. There are no cattle boats doing fossil dives, and none of the boats that do it have things like "divemasters" or "crew". The other two boat captains will dive with you and leave nobody on the boat during dives unless you specifically ask them to stay.

One more boat to choose from is a good thing in my estimation unless there's bad blood between the captains. As I said, Jamie and Mike are territorial animals.

Last edited:
I send them business when it is more than I can handle or they are looking for services I do not offer.... I am no threat to anyone nor am I looking to be, just trying to share my passion and love with others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom