New Freedom Plates are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got in a run of plates if anyone is interested.
In case you don't know what a Freedom Plate is, it's a single tank plate designed similar to a vintage style plate with cut away sides where your shoulder blades are for a super close and comfortable fit. The lower sides flare out for tank stability and also for added weight.The two shoulder straps come out of a singe point at the top for a very comfortable and snug fit over your shoulders.
A regular piece of 2" webbing HOG style can be used for a harness with d rings exactly like a regular BP.
I don't know if the plate could be considered DIR compliant, I don't see why not, at least for single tank use.
The plate comes with a tank rail which holds the tank slightly away from the plate at the bottom so the plate can follow the contours of your lower back better. The rail can also be filled with lead for an additional 3-4 lbs. of non ditchable weight. Or, the plate can be used without the rail so the tank sits absolutely flat on the plate and your back, note the curved tank cradle area down by the crotch strap on the plate. Using the plate without the rail works well with very large tanks or for extreme minimalist diving or for travel. This plate is also very versitile for all types of diving including use with double hose regs for the vintage or eclectic divers, all the way up to fully modern diving with modern gear. The tank can be set very high or very low. The slot configuration also allows for a lot of room for adjustment of the wing in relation to the tank placement.
There is no other plate to date that allows the tank to sit closer to your body than the Freedom Plate.

And just to clarify any confusion: The rail is not an STA. The wing goes between the rail and the tank and is held in by pressure when the cam bands get snapped down. Same with using just the plate with no rail, the wing will go between the plate and the tank - just to be clear.

Specs:

Height 15"
width at base 12"
weight without rail 3lbs. 2oz.
weight with rail 4lbs. 2oz.
all slots and edges completely rounded over and deburred.
each plate is custom shaped on an anvil to form the compound curves that makes the plate the most ergonomic design on the market.
Finish - orbital sanded smooth satin finish
alloy 304 S/S for all components.

The following wings I know will work: All Oxycheq single tank wings with slots, DSS single tank wings, Diverite single tank wings.
The following wings may work** , OMS, Apex, Hollis, Halcyon

** These wings have not been tested for fit. Wings must also have cam band slots to work with the Freedom Plate.

Price:
150.00 USD includes tank rail
plus shipping and sales tax for CA residents.

To order please call me at:
Office (707) 538-1276
or Cell (707) 318-2577
I can take VISA or M/C (debit M/C) over the phone

I will post some better photos of the plate and a set up rig when I get them.

Thanks

Eric Sedletzky

Attachments

• P1010088-1.jpg
    P1010088-1.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 540
  • P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 537
  • P1010092.jpg
    P1010092.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 460
  • P1010093.jpg
    P1010093.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 499
pretty cool idea. any way to add a bar weight to the sta?

Actually the rail isn't really a STA (single tank adapter) The plate is already set up for single tanks. The rail kind of looks like a STA but instead is a tank positioning and alignment device. The cam bands still go through the front of the plate (see the slots).
The rail is attached to the plate with screws that are on 5 1/2" centers and the rail always attaches directly to the plate with nothing in between.

But to answer your question, yes, the rail can be removed and the screws run al the way in (the rail is threaded) then set on a bench and both ends blocked with small pieces of scrap metal and the rail filled with lead for an additional 3-4 lbs of weight.

Different sizes of rails can also be made, very shallow ones to very deep ones, or ones that set the tank on an extreme angle (shallow on top and very thick on the bottom) for people with a very pronounced inner curve to their lower backs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would this be something for someone with zero BP/W experience to consider?

Would this be something for someone with zero BP/W experience to consider?

Sure, It's only a single tank version of a back plate and wing, except it's a very comfortable, ergonomic and streamlined version of a BP/W.
I only sell the plates, but all the rest of the accessories can be purchaced online at scubatoys.com.
I personally recommend an Oxycheq 18 or 30 lb Mach V wing depending on where you'll be diving, an oxycheq hog harness kit which will include 12 feet of regular 2" webbing, all the d-rings, keepers and crotch strap (optional, but you'll have it). You will need to get two cam bands/buckle combo. I recommend the stainless ones either from Oxycheq or Diverite. The stainless ones are not really that much more than the plastic ones and you'll never have to worry about them breaking. That's all you need to set up the rig.
If you ever got into diving doubles you would have to get an entire different set up including a doubles plate, doubles wing, and everything else needed to put together another rig. However by the time you get to that stage you'll probably have the means to set up a dedicated doubles rigs anyway.
Most of us who dive doubles and singles that have been at it a while have dedicated rigs for both.

One thing about my plate, and you can ask anybody who has one, is that it's by far the best plate for dedicated single tank use, and the most versitile too.

I have one and love it. If it were slightly longer and could accomodate holes for tank bolts on 11" centers, it would be the ONLY plate I use.

I have one and love it. If it were slightly longer and could accomodate holes for tank bolts on 11" centers, it would be the ONLY plate I use.

Instead of using 11" centers you could always use 9 1/2 inch centers because a lot of wings have 2 sets of holes offset 1.5". But then you'de need to come up with a custom STA.
But why would you want to use a STA with a plate that is that streamlined?. Seems like it would take away from the whole reason a person uses the freedom plate to start with? Seems like any STA I've ever seen moves the tank away from the plate at least an additional inch or more.
Are you thinking of using a wing with no slots? because if you are then I have an easy solution. Take a red hot butter knife and melt in some slots right where they need to be. It'll work perfect. I used to do this back when all you could get was big ol horseshoe wings with no slots.

I don't want to use it with an STA, I want to use it with my double 95s and double 100s, and I do want to keep all my doubles sets with the standard 11" spacing.

In short, I'd trade the DR SS plate I use cave diving in a heart beat for a doubles compatible plate designed on the lines of the freedom plate. I think the basic design would also be nearly ideal for sidemounting as well.

Do you have any pictures with wing and cam bands attached? Your avatar doesn't have much detail and doesn't look like you have a wing....

Back
Top Bottom