New gear, Hose lengths and stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, quick question here, I ordered a Aqualung Zuma travel BCD on Cyber Monday size M/L. What length inflation hose would work with this BCD?

2. I was planning to order a HOG SPG today, would a 24 inch hose be fine for an average size guy (wear XL T shirts)? Does the SPG high pressure hose normally come with all fittings? ex just order a SPG and hose and I'm good to go? I don't plan to use a console, just a SPG with everything else on the wrists.

3. Should I try this setup as is or just assume I will need trim pockets and order them now (I will be wearing a LOT of weight for this BCD, 7mm hooded wetsuit when not abroad) Probably 50/50 7mm or 3mm wetsuit. With the 7mm 2 piece suit I may need the trim pockets just to fit enough weight??

I guess letting everything arrive, putting it together and doing a mock up would be best, but the weather is still nice and I'd like to use it next week.

Thanks

Hi, quick question here, I ordered a Aqualung Zuma travel BCD on Cyber Monday size M/L. What length inflation hose would work with this BCD?

2. I was planning to order a HOG SPG today, would a 24 inch hose be fine for an average size guy (wear XL T shirts)? Does the SPG high pressure hose normally come with all fittings? ex just order a SPG and hose and I'm good to go? I don't plan to use a console, just a SPG with everything else on the wrists.

3. Should I try this setup as is or just assume I will need trim pockets and order them now (I will be wearing a LOT of weight for this BCD, 7mm hooded wetsuit when not abroad) Probably 50/50 7mm or 3mm wetsuit. With the 7mm 2 piece suit I may need the trim pockets just to fit enough weight??

I guess letting everything arrive, putting it together and doing a mock up would be best, but the weather is still nice and I'd like to use it next week.

Thanks
You're probably going to need an air spool to go between the hose and the SPG. it's possible that it will come with that, of it comes assembled, but if it doesn't, you're going to need one. They can be picked up pretty cheap.

Reactions: NCK
Might want to get a tube of lube as well. And put the smallest, teensiest possible amount on the sealing parts of the SPG spool, since it's a moving part. No need to use lube on the end that screws into the first stage, since you don't expect it to move very often, and you wouldn't want to unnecessarily loosen it up. Trilolube is one popular brand, among others.

How much lead do you dive with in your 7mm? If you've been diving aluminum tanks, switching to steel will knock off about 5 lbs. If you have a 2-piece wetsuit, switching to a 1-piece will save a substantial amount of lead as well.

Taking a look at the Aqualung Zuma, it does have pretty big integrated weight pockets, so you can put a good amount of lead in there (20 lbs according to their website). Often times the best place to add a trim pocket is on the tank strap, but the Zuma's strap is in pretty much the same height as the weight pouches are. So if you do end up wanting or needing trim pouches, I would recommend pairing them with a separate tank strap. Not to attach the second strap to the BC, just a place to hold the pouches. That way you can move the lead up or down the tank as needed.

As for the inflator hose, you probably want a 26 inch. DGX's "Tek Tip" on this is pretty clear, so I'd say give that a read. If in doubt, you can ask the vendor who sold you the BC. By the way, do you own your own regulators? If not, then you probably don't worry about this at all, because I have always seen this hose included with rental regs. [Edit to add: I now see in your other thread that you did buy some regs. Congrats! In that thread you also asked about SPG hose length. I'd say go for the 26 inch HP hose, tie a boltsnap onto it, and clip to left hip D-ring.]

Got everything ordered, mostly.

Forgot to order a DSMB. I actually have never used one so I guess it wasn't on my mind.

When you purchase lubricant do not use silicone grease. Use only cristolube that is oxygen and nitrox compatible. Otherwise if you should someday start using nitrox you will have to have all your equipment cleaned professionally.

When you purchase lubricant do not use silicone grease. Use only cristolube that is oxygen and nitrox compatible. Otherwise if you should someday start using nitrox you will have to have all your equipment cleaned professionally.
Off topic: I use Krytox fluorrinated greese for the above, have for years, will look for [search] Cristolube ,Krytox is expensive but used in missiles,satellites, and space vehicles where a high level of inertness is required [read O2], used by the Military and pro divers in Australia. And the stuff I use is made in the USA
From their site: Oxygen equipment used in industrial, medical, and recreational applications (e.g., scuba diving).

The vast majority of BC's bought new include the proper length inflator hose. I've seen some sidemount units that don't but that's about it. All of the majors should include a hose.

For the M/L size Zuma, Aqualung includes a 25" low pressure inflation hose.

The vast majority of BC's bought new include the proper length inflator hose. I've seen some sidemount units that don't but that's about it. All of the majors should include a hose.

Arrived today, didn't include the hose. Just an Aqualung gray bag. No big deal as I had already ordered one. Maybe for $279 Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals they don't include hose?

Check deep in the pockets or wedged in the layers of the BC. My old aqualung came with the hose hidden in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom