New Genesis 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say that I'm very excited that Charlie with Fathom DIve Systems is a dealer now. I've wanted to try a Genesis for a while, but have held off. For better or worse, it will be alot easier now with Charlie having a couple units to try out. Though I'm waiting as long as I can to try one, since there's nothing wrong with my XK and I really don't need a new scooter. I know a try dive would likely be like getting your first dose of crack free. I'm trying to be fiscally responsible, and it' aint easy.

Hi, I wanted to charge the scooter today for the first time finally to try it out in the water, the manual says:

"the power light should be on and charging lights should change from green to red within one minute, indicating that the batteries are charging"

But this does not happen, from the start all LEDs are red (after hooking dpv first, then plugging the charger to ac). The manual does not explain this.'

Also, I connected bluetooth, Bluetooth
Looks like one bank is undervolting by 0.1V, is it a concern? (the grey one)

The bluetooth app says 1:20 to completion with 4amps in, I guess it is charging. But I don't think the manual correctly states the state of charging LED lights, there is never a change from green to red, it is red right away. If I hook up just charger to ac, the lights are: one red, one green. But as manual states, hook the dpv first, then charger to ac, all Power LEDs become red immediately.

EDIT: Looks like the charge is stuck and won't complete, it has been at 5mins left for like 30mins already. Bluetooth 2, all LEDs are still red. Voltage for the grey one is not increasing beyond what is on the pic in this paragraph. Another 10mins passed, no change, going to disconnect as is. Per manual: "At the end of charging, the CHARGING LED will turn green" does not happen, all LEDs are red. Bluetooth 3

I must say that I'm very excited that Charlie with Fathom DIve Systems is a dealer now. I've wanted to try a Genesis for a while, but have held off. For better or worse, it will be alot easier now with Charlie having a couple units to try out. Though I'm waiting as long as I can to try one, since there's nothing wrong with my XK and I really don't need a new scooter. I know a try dive would likely be like getting your first dose of crack free. I'm trying to be fiscally responsible, and it' aint easy.
Let’s go diving. I’ll lend you one. You can even buy from Charlie if you like him better. :)

@Texasguy

Did you manage to resolve your issue? Was it an issue? From my personal observation, it takes a lot longer than you anticipate to full charge the battery pack. I've included a few photos of the charger in several states (disconnected from DPV, charging, DPV fully charged). I've also attached photos of the monitor app during charging and also at full charge.

20210530_194851.jpg 20210530_194925.jpg 20210530_225943.jpg Screenshot_20210530-195052.jpg Screenshot_20210530-230021.jpg Screenshot_20210530-230025.jpg

I honestly don't know how long it takes to charge the DPV from an empty state or even near an empty state. I've done two mile runs with a drysuit, doubles and stage. I don't think I even used 30% of the capacity and I always run somewhere between around 150ft/min or faster.

Where have you taken your DPV so far? Did you push the throttle to max speed?

O.

Let’s go diving. I’ll lend you one. You can even buy from Charlie if you like him better. :)

I may take you up on that. Idk you had more than just your personal use one

@Ouvea

I did not take the scooter anywhere, it was the first charge after the delivery. So, it is likely I am making some mistake in judgement. As you see on the first pic, the initial state was 3.73V when I first started charging it.

Right now scooter is fully charged 2nd time (besides the issue that the charger does not stop), I did take it freediving after the 1st charge. I have re-charged after the trip. But I'll leave it on for a number of hours. We'll see.

EDIT: So, finally it did stop!!! Takes way longer than the app ETA shows. See pics: Finally it stopped

Started at 3:18pm with 3mins left. Then at 4:07PM it is 10mins left. Weird, right? At 4:20pm it is 0mins left but charger is charging. Only around 5:00pm the charger stops.

Most baffling is that through 1.5+ hours of charge, the cells did not really obtain any additional voltage. Maybe they got more even in parallel packs..

I guess the lesson is that ETA on the app is not to be trusted. I am still concerned about the #10 pack that continuously shows a lower than expected voltage.

I think what you are experiencing is the lithium ion charging method of constant amperage / constant voltage. At the constant voltage phase the amps are very low and balancing the batteries
The charger is probably calculating time to full charge with constant current values, being higher in amps thus faster charging rate
When charger switches to constant voltage phase the voltage remains Constant and the amps reduce to 100 to 200 milliamp thus slower charging rate, and the values used to calculate time has changed,

Had a chance to use the DPV twice. First time freediving, second, a 2 hour shore dive.

Comparing it to UV26, my only other DVP I had.

Genesis has an acceptable noise that does not get annoying. When it pushes hard, it does add a slightly higher pitch sound wise. However, it never sounds like it is on its last leg, I think the motor can do more than the battery can provide. Maybe it is the DPV sound but I am constantly being checked out by tarpons.

I set my harness leash to 9-3 o'clock per prior habit. Still experimenting. If I let go of the DPV, it slightly rotates while running but probably not an issue with the original 1-7 o'clock method. So far I have not noticed a need to keep pushing a handle against any forces, it rides well and straight. But the UV26 round handle was much nicer to hold on to - tactile wise. Genesis default handle is unfortunately not ambidextrous too.

I find myself keep repeating the same mistake, setting the speed and then running it until a stop, as if on UV26. It is so hard mentally to switch to a dynamic speed selection.

Genesis is much easier to turn than UV26. Not sure if it is the length or the momentum. Maybe the body not as thick?

When freediving, full DPV's speed is a blast. Really adds a new dimension to freediving, a fun one. Can't imagine freediving with UV26, it has so many negatives.

Really enjoying the "slow start", the lack of it on UV26 was a great disappointment. On higher speeds, though, wish it would be even slower to achieve the full speed than the current setting.

Finally something I can lift without a back ache. UV26's weight was a monstrosity, getting it in/out of water was always a problem. Plus, a constant fear that UV26 will knock me out being pushed by an untimely wave. With 90lb+ it doesn't need a big push. On the other hand, Genesis is almost manageable. With a new modded handle it was not a big effort to carry for 2 blocks holding only with one hand. I had to change hands but never felt like it was way too heavy.

As much as I want to describe the pure power of motor torque pushing ahead, I can't compare it, just something I don't remember how it was on UV26. I guess one needs another DPV side-by-side to feel the torque differences. Plus, freediving or sidemounting 40's without wearing any suit does not pose much of a challenge. The day I went diving the current was medium and without a DPV I would have had no chances arriving back to the same point I started with.

I played with weights and I think I got the DPV neutral. I wish the lead balls were larger, it was very inconvenient to work with so fine (little) pieces.

Can't say I am particularly fond of the sentry unit. It is just bizarre. Sometimes I can't turn it on with knocks, maybe my rhythm is off, don't know. Turning it on was much easier when the unit was not attached to a dpv, being attached it is less receptive to control knocks. Sometimes it turns on by itself - magically. For example, I specifically turned it off after charging. 3+3 knocks. But when I loaded gear into the car sentry was on again, did moving the dpv around turned it on? Then I tried to turn it on right before going into water, it showed no signs of life, I gave up knocking and decided it is what it is. But when I started to scooter, it turned on by itself right then. It was really odd. When I scuba-ed, it was for 2 hours without resurfacing but the timer only showed 80 minutes, can't explain it. Does it count time only when motor is running? Also, when I was freediving the unit turned itself off at depth, (right when I was watching it) 350w/h was used, it went just blank, when I turned it on, the prior used wattage was gone. It kind of hard to turn it on at depth too, it is more involved to do proper knocking in water medium. One thing I like about it is that it shows depth with fractions of a feet, I don't think any of my computers do that, which is kinda cool. Another thing which I find helpful is the immediate power feedback, helps me find the most efficient position behind the scooter. I wish I could disable the 2nd voltage number, it will never be used but it is always shown.

I bought the dpv with a new magnetic shield installed on a battery for compass correctness. Not sure what the expectations are for the shield but the DPV still slightly messes with the compass. Since I never ran without the shield off, unsure how much it helps. So, does it help but not completely eliminates the magnetic fields?

I think what you are experiencing is the lithium ion charging method of constant amperage / constant voltage. At the constant voltage phase the amps are very low and balancing the batteries
The charger is probably calculating time to full charge with constant current values, being higher in amps thus faster charging rate
When charger switches to constant voltage phase the voltage remains Constant and the amps reduce to 100 to 200 milliamp thus slower charging rate, and the values used to calculate time has changed,

You win a cookie.

@Texasguy :That's the first I've heard of the Sentry turning OFF while being used, considering it takes 6 properly timed taps to turn it OFF. If you are making a lot of jerky left and right movements on the handle, or have the DPV clipped of next to you and beating up against you, that may explain it. Taps only work on the left or right side, not the face or top. It's better to tap and hold for half a second(ish) before the next tap to avoid the rebound, which creates a second tap and is discriminated as vibration and ignored. It does not take a hard knock, just a tap. Tapping ON I typically tap it 4-5 times, just in case it missed one. When in a car, if it is laying on it's side, bumpy roads can turn it ON. Better to transport with the display horizontal.

Your Compass should be forward on the DPV. If it is close to the Sentry, the Sentry battery will mess with it. There is still a couple degrees of deviation from the shielding, but it's much better than without.

Back
Top Bottom