New Gizmo, Valve Knob Tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, sea nmf if from HI.

I will take do it easy's idea and order more. That means that I will be waiting. Unless there is a special on postage for this hot new item.

Yes I know our Pink Wing wearing Sea Nmf is in Hawaii. Fortunately the USPS makes no distinction for first class mail.

I think what may have happened is most of the early orders for the valve tool were from Europe, and the $4 charge may have become the "default" in our system, oops.

I have to wait until Monday to confer with staffer that handles this.

The good news for Sea nmf is her order has not yet shipped and here CC has not been charged so I can assure that for Sea nmf's order this will be corrected.

Tobin

Thanks! I really appreciate that. For the record, sometimes it is hard for people to realize that Hawaii is not international (j/k).

Had an interesting dive today. The North Shore diving season is over when you surface next to surfers. My dive buddy had his 3rd dive with his DSS wing. He has an orange light to match the lettering on his wing. Very fashionable. He did step back upon gazing at my pink wing. And I told him it was faded. We both love our rigs, by the way.

Thanks again, Tobin!

I got mine today! Well, I have been on vacation for a week, so I am sure it has been here waiting for me. It is awesome. I didn't even know I needed one of these until I saw it. Now I am convinced I can't live without it. Out of 6 tanks, I did find one loose. Hate to lose a knob on a dive. I think I'll buy a spare knob now and keep it, along with my new tool, in my save-a-dive kit.
Thanx Tobin!

I bought two and they arrived yesterday. They work great, are very well constructed and fit easily into even the smallest save-a-dive kit. I discovered that the knob on my pony bottle was very, very loose. Thanks Tobin!

Apparently once again the wheel has been reinvented-or perhaps a better words would be modified or improved.

Tools for this function have been in the repairman/divers armentarium since Rene Bussoz established Aqua Lung/US Divers/ Aqua lung in the early 1950s and hired Bill Millman as the first repair technician. (Bill is still alive)

There have been at least 3 stages of this tool on its journey to its present configuration;
~~large screw driver notched in the middle
~~production "T" handle tool-US Divers, Voit and Dacor
~~modified beer can opener-"the church key-" preferred by many
~~and now this...The mark IV,

Congratulations you have identified a need and full filled the need....
by reading the posts for many just in time..

Good luck in this venture and all your future ventures..

SDM

I recently received the new Valve Knob Retainer Tool from Deep Sea Supply and I am pleased to report that it is a very useful tool that nearly every diver ought to possess. (Thanks Tobin!) A robust little piece of inox, it has a wide, easy to grip handle that terminates in a pair of 'teeth' that fit perfectly into the slot of the retainer nut. Investigating its use, I inserted it into the valve knob on my 19cf Luxfer cylinder. I was surprised to find that the retainer nut was quite loose! Upon close examination of the retainer nut I observed that the motion of turning the knob to either open or close the valve tends to impart motion to the retainer nut slightly before the central screw. This behaviour might, over time, gradually 'walk' the retainer nut off the screw until it is ejected by the underlying spring...there goes your knob, and your dive. It's a simple little tool, but an invaluable one in any diver's kit.

Check your knobs people! Tighten those nuts! :wink:

Sadamune

Attachments

• DSS_knob_tool-small.jpg
    DSS_knob_tool-small.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Valve_knob-small.jpg
    Valve_knob-small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSS_knob_tool_in_valve_knob-small.jpg
    DSS_knob_tool_in_valve_knob-small.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSS_knob_tool_turning-small.jpg
    DSS_knob_tool_turning-small.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 62
Got mine in the mail today (was on vacation so I'm sure it came days ago) and it looks AWESOME!

Tobin, thanks sooo much...now I just gotta get the weight plates for my small wing :) (thats next on my list!)

Thanks again and look forward to doing business with you again VERY soon!

Trish

YES! Get them weight plates on that sexy pink bp/w of yours!
I'll even pick them up for you to save you the shipping cost.

(and put them on your bp for you) :D

Well, after several uses, my only criticism is that it does bend rather easily, unlike my screwdriver with the gap I ground out of the middle.

Well, after several uses, my only criticism is that it does bend rather easily, unlike my screwdriver with the gap I ground out of the middle.

What part of the tool did you bend? The torque involved in snugging up a knob retainer have been pretty small for me.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom