New Guy Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usmarine_7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading these threads and everyone here is very helpful and mature. I am getting my open water cert this weekend and figured this would be the best place to learn new things. I just wanted to introduce myself and say how excited I am to take on this new adventure.

Anyone want to offer any tips or advice for a soon to be diver (fingers crossed).

Welcome to SB.......Dive as much as you can, learn as much as you can.......

The hardest part of my Open Water certification involved mask flooding, removing, and replacing.

Advice: let the water fill the mask before you remove it. This way you won't be hit with a face full of cold water. And for mask removal, just breathe. Relax. Take a few breaths before trying to do anything.

Even to this day, when my mask gets knocked off, I have to remind myself to stop and breathe for a second, and suddenly it's no longer an issue.

Oh, and enjoy it! Scuba diving is a blast!

Well you're right about this being the place to pick up new knowledge and advice.
Now let me be the first to warn you about advice, everyone here has their own opinions and some are rooted in fact while others are just opinions.
When in doubt ask your instructor and always listen with both ears.
You'll do fine with your openwater diving, just remember that it doesn't end there.
Keep building on what you learn and always strive to be better on your next dive than you were on your previous dive.

Congrats and good luck on the start of a new adventure. You might want to hit up the New Divers or Basic Discussion forums too for more tips, as many divers may have the same questions as you (or it may be searchable in the forum history).

Just remember to stay comfortable and calm in your class, and you'll do fine.

Thanks Guys!! I can't wait to get in the water. All this book stuff got me excited to get in and get started.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom