New guy here!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ray Roberts clarity is more like Lake Travis. Lake Lewisville is really bad.

Do you think Athens is nicer than Scuba Ranch?
I've been curious about Ray Roberts actually, but as much as I've searched can't find any dive videos of it, either. So if you have any to share, please by all means throw them up!

I've been to Athens once and honestly I can't give good feedback one way of the other because it just wasn't a good day for me. It was August and pretty hot out that morning. And I got there sometime around 10:00-10:30. Got all my gear on the dock and got all kitted up ready to dive when I discovered I'd lost my truck keys. Spent about 30 minutes retracing my steps looking everywhere for them and to no avail. Finally I decided the only other possibility I could think of was that they must've fallen between the boards in the dock and were laying on the bottom underneath. So I donned my gear and hopped in the water. Searched for about 5 minutes and sure enough found them on the bottom in about 8 ft of water under the dock. Grabbed and set them on the dock to dry (keyless remote and all) and finally made my dive. But by that time I was already sweltering hot and the water wasn't exactly very cool. I lasted about 20 minutes underwater before I started feeling nauseous due to heat. I did set down on one of the "platforms" and switched from my ffm to a conventional mask and reg. I left my mask off for a couple minutes and was "fanning" water in my face trying to cool off but it didn't help much. So after getting a mask back on I lasted maybe another 5-10 minutes and called the dive. At that point I was too hot to make another dive that day and was very discouraged so we packed it in and went home. I actually still have a rain check for admission there for a day of diving but haven't taken an opportunity to go back. Water clarity compared to Scuba Ranch....it's more blue, but I wouldn't say it's any clearer. And of course the red mud on the bottom doesn't help. Of the two I prefer Scuba Ranch because the training platforms are much nicer and it seems to be a bigger dive area. And a little less primitive as far as facilities, etc. And the new owner is doing a lot to make it more of a family park for more than just diving. And although sometimes the visibility isn't great, it's a great place to learn/practice navigation.

Usually if I want to dive "blue" water without going to the Caribbean, I'll drive down to Huntsville and spend a day at Blue Lagoon. It's about like Athens but visibility tends to be maybe a little better, especially before noon when all the swimmers get there. Actually that's where the picture in my avatar was taken. And it's not bad for night dives, either! If you don't mind dodging bats on the surface!

Ray Roberts clarity is more like Lake Travis. Lake Lewisville is really bad.

Do you think Athens is nicer than Scuba Ranch?

No,it’s not.

Reactions: Foo
Athens doesn't have any fish life in it, it's mostly sunken items and if you're blonde, it WILL turn your hair green! Clear Springs is far superior, imo, as it has plenty of life and lots of interesting spots to check out. Fridays are the best day, before the classes on the weekend. Good luck!

Scuba Ranch is actually getting better. They're adding some new additions to make it better for diving and just a fun place to take the family. They're building new pavilions with sun decks on top, adding a 6-station aeration system to help eliminate some of the algae and virtually eliminate the thermocline, putting a couple of new things to see in the water, like a bigger airplane fuselage, they've taken out the wooden cruiser boat that was falling apart, taken out the blue dock near the far (south?) end of the lake, they're supposedly enclosing the air fill station so you don't have to stand in the cold during the winter months or sweat bullets during the summer. The new owner really is trying to make it the premier dive spot in North Texas and it shows. I was out 3-4 weeks ago DMing a class and had vertical visibility of at least 20 ft from the surface where I was able to see the training platforms while waiting for students to descend for their first couple of dives.

Reactions: Foo
Scuba Ranch is actually getting better. They're adding some new additions to make it better for diving and just a fun place to take the family. They're building new pavilions with sun decks on top, adding a 6-station aeration system to help eliminate some of the algae and virtually eliminate the thermocline, putting a couple of new things to see in the water, like a bigger airplane fuselage, they've taken out the wooden cruiser boat that was falling apart, taken out the blue dock near the far (south?) end of the lake, they're supposedly enclosing the air fill station so you don't have to stand in the cold during the winter months or sweat bullets during the summer. The new owner really is trying to make it the premier dive spot in North Texas and it shows. I was out 3-4 weeks ago DMing a class and had vertical visibility of at least 20 ft from the surface where I was able to see the training platforms while waiting for students to descend for their first couple of dives.
Can they add fish to the mix? If so, I'm in!

Is Athens called Scuba Ranch now?

Zzzz! So good to see you, my friend! Let's blow bubbles. Are you traveling anywhere this summer?

Isn't Possum Kindom an option? I've been wanting to drive down to see the scuba park as a possible alternative to Lake Tenkiller. Both are the same distance for me. I wasn't impressed with Athens or Clear Springs, but it was blowing bubbles and great for navigation practice.

Welcome to the addiction, all that money isnt going to spend itself!

Jay

Can they add fish to the mix? If so, I'm in!
Yes, there are plenty of fish and I believe they're adding a certain type of carp that helps clean up some of the algae. And no, Athens isn't called Scuba Ranch. Scuba Ranch is what used to be known as Clear Springs Scuba Park. It's been under new ownership for a little over a year now and has been changed to Scuba Ranch @ Clear Springs. Lots of new stuff going on out there!

We always liked Athens over Clear Springs...countless dives at both places though.
Lake Murray, OK is an option. Viz isn't great but it is close to you. 24 miles into OK on 35.
For weekend trips, the Comal River and Canyon Lake (Holiday Lodge and North Lake Park) are also good dive spots.

We always found a little in between vacation diving...just gotta be open minded. Viz isn't great but its a good time to work on compass navigation.

This place used to be called the Swamp Divers Forum. The name fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom