New guy here!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome! I am not familiar with the Northern lakes. Just wanted to welcome you to the board.
Same here.

Welcome to the board. I am about 2 hours south of Dallas. Have not dove any of the areas around DFW, mostly Stillhouse Hollow Lake and Lake Travis in Austin. Both are ok, typical lake dives with the best viz being in the 10-20 ft. Range but usually less. Local spots are ok for skills maintenance, trying to gear, training etc but not a lot to get one excited.

I probably differ from others in that I don’t like to go to “scuba parks”. Not a lot of interest in paying to see random stuff sunk underwater. Would rather save the money for periodic trips to the travel locations but skills must be maintained so....

As a recently recertified diver who lives near Stillhouse Hollow Lake, I dove here a couple weeks ago from a boat provided by the local dive shop, Scuba Divers Paradise. These folks also have a club and are quite helpful, friendly and enthusiastic on diving. 'Vis' I experienced on my dive very similar to what we're seeing off Windy Point on Lake Travis. Lately, water temps are holding in the low 80's down to about 40' or so. An anti-exposure suite shouldn't be needed above about 65' where the temps may drop 15 to 20 degrees I'm guessing. Need to use caution around Zebra mussels that are everywhere. Gloves and maybe scuff guards recommended to avoid those sharp critters. Dive shop open on weekends & the club has laid out lines to navigate below the marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom